Chris 'Smitty' Smith

What terrible news. Smitty helped me with so many projects. If there were multiple replies to a question, I always went with Smitty's because they worked every time.

Smitty, I wish you a smooth journey to the other side.
Thank you, TinaP! Your friendly words comfort those of us he left behind. I appreciate it. He LOVED helping people, and he LOVED Excel. I'm just glad he LOVED so much: rock climbing, ice climbing, jeeping, dogs and other animals, camping, skiing, shooting and collecting, sailing, skinny dipping - he loved life and made it an adventure for us. He will be sorely missed. <3

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Just when I thought this year couldn't get any worse. This is such devastating news and my heart goes out to his family.

Like for many others, Smitty was one of the first contacts I had here and he was always great to chat to. Clearly with a great love of adventure and a challenge - never mind ice-climbing, he was willing to try and fix Microsoft's documentation! I'm gutted I never made it to a summit to meet him in person as he was clearly one of those rare people who are actualy as cool in real life as online. Keeping everything crossed for a miracle.
I love this! Thank you - he really was THAT MUCH FUN!! And that smart, oh yeah, that, too.... ;) <3 Thank you for the kind words.
Cyndi
a.k.a. @WebVixn

Smitty was passionate about Excel. He has over 29K posts here. His first 25 years of work were on ranches in many states and Australia where he convinced the ranch owners to move from paper ledgers to Excel. I remember my first lunch with Smitty - my son Zeke was there, along with MrsExcel. Smitty had great stories of his recent bear hunting trip or rock climbing. He spent one hour with Zeke, probably 15 years ago, but asked about him every time we talked!

I talked to Cyndi this morning and I am organizing a virtual Run / Walk / Ride this week #ForSmitty. If you use Strava or Polar to track your exercise routine, take one ride / walk / run this week (June 23-28 2020) #ForSmitty. Post a selfie of you on the ride and a screenshot of the ride on Twitter with the #ForSmitty hashtag. Cyndi will share these with Smitty. Next week, Holy Macro! Books will send all participants a link to download an e-book of Smitty's Excel 2019 Business Basics and Beyond e-book for free and will donate $10 to a scholarship fund for Smitty's daughter.

I have no idea how to thank you for this, Bill. It was amazing for all of us to see the tributes and the #ForSmitty hikes/runs/rides/walks/swims everybody did! You really were a special friend of his, and you gave him so much opportunity! <3 Campbell and I both love you for that. GO MREXCEL! GO M.V.P.s!

Love,

Cyndi (a.k.a. Smitty's ball and chain)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carmadgar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back