Circular reference error after opening file on new computer

gr8rck

Hi,

I have a several file that have a lot of formulas and worked fine before on another computer (older) and probably with a slightly older version of excel. When opening on my new laptop all of a sudden I'm getting circular reference error notices that I've not seen before and now my formulas don't work. I can't imagine the issue is the computer. I did try saving and opening in an older file format but didn't really help. I'm on the newest version of excel with O365.

Does anyone know why this would be happening and how to fix it?

Thanks,

gr8rck

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Have you done tracing on the formulas to see where the circular references are happening? These may be deliberate with the "Enable iterative calculations" option turned on, which would not be turned on in your new computer. Did you write the formulas yourself?

Try going to Options, Formulas, Calculation Options, Enable Iterative Calculations and check the box. However, you should still make sure you understand how each formula works to ensure that there are no errors.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Thanks - I think you nailed it. Is that option turned on by default in older excel versions or did it not exist back then? I understand what/where/how the calculations should be working but not entirely how they were written. I was getting other errors like "inconsistent formula for area" and a few others. Those have all gone away after checking the box.

Have you done tracing on the formulas to see where the circular references are happening? These may be deliberate with the "Enable iterative calculations" option turned on, which would not be turned on in your new computer. Did you write the formulas yourself?

Try going to Options, Formulas, Calculation Options, Enable Iterative Calculations and check the box. However, you should still make sure you understand how each formula works to ensure that there are no errors.

Upvote 0
To my knowledge that option was never turned on by default. It was available at least as far back as Excel 2007. I don't know what the behavior was in earlier versions that don't have the option.

Normally circular references are considered an error, but there are some clever ways to use it on purpose for iterative calculations. I guess Microsoft caught up with this and explicitly added the option so it wouldn't be considered an error. This usage can be difficult to reverse engineer, so that is why I advise caution, because you could break something if you don't know exactly what was done.

Upvote 0
For reference
It's also available in 2003 & the default is off

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back