Circular Reference Error

wvearil

I am using the Excel version included with O365. One of the workbooks I have been working with developed Circular Reference Errors. I have looked through the formulas and I do not see and reference that would cause the error. If I open the same Workbook using Excel 2017 I do not have the Circular Reference Errors. The O365 Excel is x64 and the Excel 2017 is 32 bit. Just another note this problem started the same time I started getting the #SPILL error.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Go to Ribbon-> Formulas -> Formula Auditing -> Error checking. Click and you will get a pointer to one of the cycles that emerged.
Then you can come back and tell what exactly is wrong.

J.Ty.

Upvote 0
Hi J. Ty.
I have done that, Excel down not find an error. The circular reference error refers to Cell B1, although cell B1 does not have anything that would cause a circular reference error. As I mentioned I can open the same workbook in Excel 2013 and there are not any circular reference errors.

I am wondering if this has to do with the latest O365 update.

Thanks for your response.
Wayne

Upvote 0
Almost surely it does. Probably somewhere a formula that did not spill previously spills now, producing new, unintended cells with formulas, which are then caught in a cycle.
Go to my article on that topic and try installing gadgets that allow you to determine which cells belong to a cycle.
I must admit I did not try it on cycles caused by spills, so I am very curious if it helps.

J.Ty.

Upvote 0
I did check it. My method works with cycles caused by spills an locates them.

Upvote 0
Thanks, my spreadsheet is too large and has too much VBA to go through everything. My feeling is if workbook functions on Excel 2017 and functioned on the O365 until two days ago (at the sametime #SPILL errors started occurring) then Microsoft has pushed another buggy update/patch.

Is there a simple way of removing the last patch? Everything I see is time-consuming.

Thanks again for your responses.
Wayne

Upvote 0
Honestly, I do not know. In this thread one of the participants knew much more about that than I do.

J.Ty.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Et_Cetera

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back