Circular Reference Error

NewUser2

Board Regular
Hi, When I open my workbook I'm getting the following message (and then subsequently every time i try to do anything...):

"Microsoft excel cannot calculate a formula. There is a circular reference in an open workbook, but the references that cause it cannot be listed for you. Try editing the last formula you entered or removing it...".
- Only option is 'Okay'

Now, i just opened the workbook and this started happening. There's no option to press undo. As far as i know, no formulas calculating to outside workbooks...

And no, going to 'Error checking' doesnt work. There's no option to click the circular reference button.

Any suggestions anyone?

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
usually you will see it in the status bar

Upvote 0
Same question came up yesterday, check for a named range that you don't recognise.

Don't quote me on this, I could just be remembering parts of different anomalies and getting them mixed up, but I do remember this happening previously and I have it in mind that the cause was a named range automatically created by using advanced filters. (or something similar).

Upvote 0
Same question came up yesterday, check for a named range that you don't recognise.

Don't quote me on this, I could just be remembering parts of different anomalies and getting them mixed up, but I do remember this happening previously and I have it in mind that the cause was a named range automatically created by using advanced filters. (or something similar).

Just tried looking there, it's not my workbook and there are a lot of named ranges... so i dont want to delete any. And, the main user of this workbook isn't too big into Excel... so I don't want to push this question to them.

Just visually reviewing the named ranges, nothing seems 'off'.

Upvote 0
you might try ASAP Utilities

Upvote 0
See if anything here helps.

Upvote 0
See if anything here helps.

That like just directs you to using the error checking function for circular references, which doesnt work in my case.
Thanks though

Upvote 0
Without seeing the actual file I'm out of ideas. Given that this would most likely be impossible, the best thing that I can suggest would be to make a few copies of the file and start removing things until the error goes away. Once that happens, it would be safe to say that the last thing removed was the cause, which will narrow down the investigation.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back