circular reference in an open workbook

Tennisguuy

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I keep getting this message that I have a circular reference in an open workbook. However when I click on the formula tab and then click on error checking and click the drop down the circular reference option is grayed out. Also if the cell that keeps giving me a circular reference, if I enter data in the cell below that then go back to the first cell that gave me the circular reference I no longer get the circular reference if I enter data again. All of the cell in this column are basically the same mean if the first one gave me a circular reference the one right below it should as well. The same holds true if I enter data in the second cell first I get the circular reference in the second cell but if I enter data in the first cell then enter data in the second cell I no longer get a circular reference

The workbook is a template I use and I have not made any changes on this sheet or reference any changes to this sheet. I track all of my changes so I know exactly what changes I have made and where they were made.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
I found the cause
Good to hear you found the cause.
If you would like to post the solution then it is perfectly fine to mark your post as the solution to help future readers. Otherwise, please do not mark a post that doesn't contain a solution.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back