Cleaning address data

dunlopoil

Board Regular
Hi,
I have a database of sales records containing 6 address columns (C-H). I want to extract the country (which may be entered in any of the 6 columns) and place this in a separate column. I have a definitive list of countries on sheet 2 which I have saved as a named range (Country).

I would like to be able to set something up which searches the six address fields on sheet 1 and if a match is found against the Country range, enter this in a separate column (I). A non-code solution would be ideal as I am nowhere near that level yet and want to be able to understand what I am doing as far as possible!

Many thanks,
Doug.

Thanks. I realise the examples I posted above are more problematic. However, I'm still struggling to see any difference between the few matches that worked and the majority that failed, where there should be a straightforward match between SPAIN in the DB cell and SPAIN in the Country List. That was why I entered the TRIM formula in column E, as it contains many examples like that. However, no additional matches were found. I presume the problem is with leading/trailing spaces as you suggest. I will work on it some more and see how I get on.

Many thanks for your help,
Doug.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
If it is leading/trailing spaces, the second formula should crack it.

Maybe it is web data? Does this get closer

=IF(ISNA(MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(MATCH(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(C2:H2),".",""),CHAR(160),""),CountryList,0)),0)),"",
INDEX(C2:H2,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(MATCH(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(C2:H2),".",""),CHAR(160),""),CountryList,0)),0)))

Upvote 0
No luck, I'm afraid. The formula is surrounded by braces, which means it is correctly entered as an array formula, am I right?

Upvote 0
Yes, that is correct.

Can you post an example workbook somewhere on one of the file sharing servers, such as cjoint.com?

Upvote 0
It is ut it is straight-forward. Click the browse button and go grab your file. Then click Creer le Lien Cjoint, and it will create a new page with a link. Copy the link and paste it here.

Upvote 0
Blimey, 5.1Mb!

Anyway, the problem was easy, SPAIN in your CountryList is actually SPAIN+space. You could get rid of it, but there are many others, so this formula handles it, and commas and dots

=IF(ISNA(MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(MATCH(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(C2:H2),".",""),",",""),TRIM(CountryList),0)),0)),"",
INDEX(C2:H2,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(MATCH(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(C2:H2),".",""),",",""),TRIM(CountryList),0)),0)))

I would add UK and USA to your list.

Upvote 0
Just one thing- where do these stray spaces come from? I'm pretty certain that when I created the list I didn't enter a space after the country.

Is it just something you get into the habit of (using the TRIM formula) whenever you create a list like this?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juggernaut24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back