Clear All not working correctly

Matt_O

Board Regular
Hi Excel Experts,

First, I haven't been on this site in a long time and kudos to whomever revamped the site. It looks great.

Second, thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

I have come across a situation in two separate workbooks from different authors where I check for 'Last Cell' by manually checking via F5 > 'Special' > and selecting 'Last Cell'.

In the most recent workbook I received, there is data in (A1:D8), yet the last cell is (D:965). I selected (A9: D965) and then selected on the Home Ribbon > Editing > Clear > Clear All. Then I saved the file.

When I manually check the sheet again for last cell it ends up back on (D:965). I then highlighted a couple hundred rows (700-965) and deleted the rows. When I manually checked for the last cell it still showed (D:965). Eventually I was able to delete a couple hundred rows and the 'last cell' was on found on the (D:700). I repeated the selection and deleting process for another couple hundred rows and the 'last cell' was found back on row 700. I've been playing around with 'deleting' and 'clearing all' 'and continue to get inconsistent results.

I started using the F5 process to first search for invisible objects because some workbooks were 2 MB large yet contained only a few rows of data. Then I was copying over numerous empty rows when using Python and openxl with part of the code looking like "x = source_ws.max_row". It appears that Python/openxl equates 'max_row' to Excel's 'Last cell'. To troubleshoot this issue I started using the F5 Last cell option on the source workbook and stumbled into this puzzle.

When using VBA ... aLastRow = sh.Cells(sh.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row... I get the intended result of Row 8 being the last row containing data.

So that was a longwinded way to ask, does anyone know if the F5 > 'Special' > and selecting 'Last Cell' process is known to be buggy? Or is my experience an outlier?

I'm on Windows 10, Office 365, and confused.

Matt

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
This probably related to your question?

Upvote 0
Thanks for replying Zot and johnnyL.

After reading the article Zot linked to, it seems I still have a bug. Now my last cell is only on row 24 but it doesn't matter if I select A9:D24 and 'clear all' or delete the rows. The next time I open the file and CTRL + End the last cell is still D:24. So strange.

I'll have to set aside some time to digest and try out johnnyL's code.

Thanks again.

Matt

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scottdog129

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back