Clear Chevron Characters and Characters Inside Chevrons

typewriterguy

Happy New Year, Excel folks.

Is there an Excel formula to remove the spacebar + characters in red, as shown below? I need to be left with only the last name, first name and the semicolon.

Mouse, Mickey <mickey.mouse@d.com>;

Microsoft Outlook has changed the way that email addresses from the global addressbook copy and paste (from version 2003 to version 2010).

Thanks.

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.

Is there an Excel formula to remove the spacebar + characters in red, as shown below? I need to be left with only the last name, first name and the semicolon.

Mouse, Mickey <MICKEY.MOUSE@D.COM>;

Microsoft Outlook has changed the way that email addresses from the global addressbook copy and paste (from version 2003 to version 2010).

Thanks.
I think your example has been truncated.

Does the string contain a "less than" symbol? If so, put space characters on both sides of it. The forum software interprets the "less than" symbol as a html code character that causes text to be truncated.

Upvote 0

Is there an Excel formula to remove the spacebar + characters in red, as shown below?

I need to be left with only: last name; comma; space between comma an and first name; first name; semicolon.

Mouse, Mickey "<"mickey.mouse@d.com">"<MICKEY.MOUSE@D.COM>;

should look like Mouse, Mickey;

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Is there an Excel formula to remove the spacebar + characters in red, as shown below?

I need to be left with only: last name; comma; space between comma an and first name; first name; semicolon.

Mouse, Mickey "<"mickey.mouse@d.com">"<MICKEY.MOUSE@D.COM>;

should look like Mouse, Mickey;

Thanks.
Assuming that the real string does not contain the quotes...

Book1
AB
2Mouse, Mickey ;Mouse, Mickey;
Sheet2

=LEFT(A2,FIND("<",A2)-2)&";"

Upvote 0
=left(A2, find("<", A2)-1)

copied down

Upvote 0
Select your cells (it is alright if you include cells without the "<..>" text in it or blank cells), press CTRL+H to bring up the Replace dialog box. Type this in the "Find what" field...

{space}"< *>"

Do NOT type space after the greater than symbol... it is there for the same reason you needed to put it there... so the symbol shows up. ALSO, do NOT type the "word" {space} as shown, rather type a single space character in for it instead (the text pattern should start with a leading space). Next, click the "Options>>" button and make sure the "Match entire cell contents" checkbox is NOT checked. Now click the "Replace All" button.... the text you want should be remaining.

NOTE: This procedure changes your original data... I wasn't sure if that is what you ultimately wanted or not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back