Clear contents & delete rows/columns increases file size by 300%

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeymay

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a file that current stands at just over 9mb.

There is a sheet named 'Master List' in the file that performs a lot of calculations based on an initial dataset and the formulas span across to just beyond column AAA (approx 700 columns). The majority of these columns are flattened (Paste Special, Values) once the dataset has been copied in and the calculations have been performed.

I have inserted a new sheet and copied the contents of the Master List sheet into the new sheet, amended all references to this sheet to the new one and checked all my named ranges so they point to the new sheet. I have then deleted the original Master List sheet. This resulted in giving me a file of 9mb - a reduction of 4mb.

I did the above as I felt there was some corruption on the Master List sheet as by trying to clear the contents of the unused cells and deleting unused rows/columns would help with further reducing the size of the file, but after performing the above and then clearing and deleting the unused rows & columns the file increases in size by 300%.

The file contains about 80 charts and graphs across around 40 sheets but only the Master List utilises many columns/rows.

I have a flat file sheet that could contain up to 15k rows and about 60 columns but there is no calculations on this sheet.

The remainder of the sheets are just analysis that contain the charts/graphs and some small analysis tables and span 60 rows and about 25 (Max) columns.

I really do need to reduce the size of the file by as much as possible and I am wondering if there is some larger scale corruption going on in the file if by deleting rows/columns in the Master List file is causing an increase?

Unfortunately I am unable to share the file as it has an NDA applied to it.

TIA

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back