Clearing all autofilters on protected file

KGee

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a spreadsheet that gets protected before it is sent out to staff. It uses AutoFilters which I want to keep enabled while the spreadsheet is locked. Since there are quite a few columns, I added a button to clear all of the filters so they don't have to click each one individually. The problem is my button only works when the sheet/workbook are not protected.

I get a run-time 1004 error when it is protected:
"ShowAllData method of Worksheet class failed"

Code:
  If ActiveSheet.FilterMode Then
    ActiveSheet.ShowAllData
  End If

Is there another option I can use?

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Looks like I may have to unprotect, clear filter, then reprotect. Can anyone confirm that is the only option other than removing the button and letting them clear each filter individually.

Upvote 0
If you have Excel 2000 or above, you have the option of allowing autofilter on a protected sheet.

Otherwise you can add: ActiveSheet.Unprotect at the beginning of your button code and reprotect at the end.

HTH,

Upvote 0
Firstly, I'm by no means a VBA expert. I've accomplished much of my coding by looking things up online and modifying code I found to suit my needs. Thanks to all you accomplished coders for that! :biggrin: I think I have what you need thoiugh.

You can avoid having to unprotect the sheet to clear auto-filters by protecting your sheet via VBA code as opposed to protecting from the menu-bar. The key is "UserInterfaceOnly:= True", which can only be entered via VBA code, as far as I know. This allows macros to work within a protected sheet. I just entered it in a new module and assigned a hotkey to the macro. Then, set filters on unprotected sheet and execute protect macro. The macro I use below:

Sub PrSh()
'
' PrSh Macro
'
' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+y
'
Worksheets("Sheet1").Protect Password:="yourpassword", _
Contents:=True, Scenarios:=True, _
AllowFiltering:=True, UserInterfaceOnly:=True

I created it by first recoding a macro by protecting my sheet from menu-bar with the options I wanted. I then simply added the "UserInterfaceOnly:=True" to the end of the recorded macro. You can also apply this code to a CommandButton on your sheet if you prefer that over a keyboard-shortcut. Hope this helps. :biggrin:

Not sure the above code will work on a Shared Workbook though. Shared Workbooks seem to introduce a whole new set of issues. I'm currently trying to figure out how to allow Activesheet.ShowAllData to work on a protected, Shared Workbook from a CommandButton. (search forums with "ShowAllData Error" keywords for my post on this problem..thanks in advance for any help there)

Upvote 0
I know this answer comes a little late but since I was still searching for a solution and this came up near the top of the results I figured I'd post my solution too. Like KGee I'm trying to clear any Autofilters from a protected file. I don't know the password and it is not enabled to allow me to adjust the existing filters. So I just put in new filters, for some reason I'm allowed to do this.

Range("A1:A2").AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterInPlace, Unique:=False

Hope this helps anyone else in the future.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
audette89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back