Cntrl-e runs wrong same name macro in different workbook

Tjbrierley

I have a group of Excel (2003) template files, each with a different name. When these files are opened they ask for certain information and save themselves as a unique name. Within these files are VBA routines and functions and, because these files basically do the same things, they have the same name. These routines exist in their own unique modules each with a different name. Unfortunately, in these files there are differences in the number of columns of information these routines act on so once they have been saved I need them to only act on their own columns only.

My problem is, when I have more than 1 of these files open in the same instance of Excel, I try to run a file using a control letter combination Ctrl-e and it sometimes runs the version of the macro in the wrong file. This leads to all kinds of strange thing happening. Does anybody have any idea as to what I can do to force the correct macro to work in all instances please?

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
I have a group of Excel (2003) template files, each with a different name. When these files are opened they ask for certain information and save themselves as a unique name. Within these files are VBA routines and functions and, because these files basically do the same things, they have the same name. These routines exist in their own unique modules each with a different name. Unfortunately, in these files there are differences in the number of columns of information these routines act on so once they have been saved I need them to only act on their own columns only.

My problem is, when I have more than 1 of these files open in the same instance of Excel, I try to run a file using a control letter combination Ctrl-e and it sometimes runs the version of the macro in the wrong file. This leads to all kinds of strange thing happening. Does anybody have any idea as to what I can do to force the correct macro to work in all instances please?

If it was my files, I would change the macro names as I created new workbooks and I would assign different keyboars shortcuts to them. But that's just me. When I was still doing the 9 to 5 and creating Excel files and writing code to handle them, I tried to avoid copying workbooks which contained code because I knew it could lead to confusion and cause some undesired results if the user was unaware of how they operated. The best way to avoid the problems is to avoid the conditon.

You might want to try somethin like a personal workbook to store your universal macros in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks JLGWhiz. Unfortunately this is not an option because I start with one master file that I change each time I produce another template file from it. Each one of those template files could produce potentially hundreds more files. Thanks again

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aivin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back