Code building a Form, building a button with code....

Atroxell

I have been gnashing this problem for a while now, and I cannot find the resolution. I previously posted a question re: building an form with code and got that all working great for several forms. But now I have run into a problem that I cannot figure out.

I have the following code:
Code:
            topPos = topPos + 24
            Set Btn = objFrm.Designer.Controls.Add("Forms.CommandButton.1")
            With Btn
                  .Caption = "Refresh View": .Height = 24: .Width = 78: .Left = 18: .Top = topPos:
            End With

[COLOR=#FF0000]'GIVES ME AN ERROR SOMEWHERE IN THE CODE BLOCK BELOW[/COLOR]
            With objFrm.CodeModule
                  Line = .CountOfLines
                  .InsertLines Line + 1, "Sub " & Btn.Name & "_Click()"
                  .InsertLines Line + 2, "     Dim cCont As Control"
                  .InsertLines Line + 3, "     Dim lRow As Long"
                  .InsertLines Line + 4, "     customFunctions.disable_Defaults"
                  .InsertLines Line + 5, "     lRow = Sheets(""Headers"").Range(""A500"").end(xlUp).Row"
                  .InsertLines Line + 6, "     For v = lRow To 2 Step -1"
                  .InsertLines Line + 7, "          Select Case Me.Controls(""TextBox"" & v - 1)"
                  .InsertLines Line + 8, "               Case Is <> """":        Cells(v, 1) = Me.Controls(""TextBox"" & v - 1)"
                  .InsertLines Line + 9, "               Case Else:              Sheets(""Headers"").Range(""A"" & v).EntireRow.Delete"
                  .InsertLines Line + 10, "          End Select"
                  .InsertLines Line + 11, "     Next v"
                  .InsertLines Line + 12, "     Unload Me"
                  .InsertLines Line + 13, "     Call forms_SetUp.CreateFieldSetupForm"
                  .InsertLines Line + 14, "     enable_Defaults"
                  .InsertLines Line + 15, "End Sub"
            End With
[COLOR=#ff0000]            'GIVES ME AN ERROR SOMEWHERE IN THE CODE BLOCK ABOVE[/COLOR]

Set Btn = objFrm.Designer.Controls.Add("Forms.CommandButton.2")
            With Btn
                  .Caption = "Save & Close": .Height = 24: .Width = 78: .Left = 114: .Top = topPos:
            End With

' Code for the Click() event of the "Save & Close" button.
            With objFrm.CodeModule
                  Line = .CountOfLines
                  .InsertLines Line + 2, "     customFunctions.disable_Defaults"
                  .InsertLines Line + 3, "     Thisworkbook.Save"
                  .InsertLines Line + 4, "     Unload Me"
                  .InsertLines Line + 5, "     Call forms_SetUp.DeleteAllForms"
                  .InsertLines Line + 6, "     enable_Defaults"
                  .InsertLines Line + 7, "End Sub"
            End With
      End With

It's driving me crazy because if I remove all the stops from the code, it just fails somewhere in the designated block. No error, it just exits the procedure without creating CommandButton.2.

There is some code prior to this block, and it works fine. All of the variables are declared, nothing is visually wrong that I can see. If I insert a break at the top of the "problem code block", it stops there and when I hit F8 it does fine until .InsertLines Line + 1, "Sub " & Btn.Name & "_Click()" and then tells me (understandably) that it can't enter break mode at this point.

If I put an error message in it says "error: -2147221005 Invalid Class String". I've googled this error and cannot find anything definitive to get me moving.

Can anyone see an issue?

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
I should mention that the code does successfully create CommandButton.1 and the code it should contain. So I guess the error actually resides in
Code:
[COLOR=#333333]Set Btn = objFrm.Designer.Controls.Add("Forms.CommandButton.2")[/COLOR]
somehow...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That section of code works fine for me when I slot it into code that creates a form with multiple buttons.

PS What do you mean by 'put an error message' in?

Upvote 0
I didn't notice this,
Code:
as I was concentrating on the code you indicated was the the problem but it's definitely wrong.

If I change 'Forms.CommandButton.1' to 'Forms.CommandButton.2' in the code I mentioned previously I get the 'invalid class string error' with the first button it tries to create.

Upvote 0
I didn't notice this,
Code:
as I was concentrating on the code you indicated was the the problem but it's definitely wrong.

If I change 'Forms.CommandButton.1' to 'Forms.CommandButton.2' in the code I mentioned previously I get the 'invalid class string error' with the first button it tries to create.

Thanks for the response, Norie.

RE: "'put an error message' in"--I put an errorcheck exit in the procedure in an attempt to get some information I could work with... I know you advised against that with code in development in an earlier post, but I was getting desperate. I've since taken it out.

Strange. I built 3 other forms with the same code and they don't have "2" in them. I changed it to "1". But now I get an "ambiguous name" error, which is unexpected because I use nearly identical code in 3 other forms I have built. They have 2 buttons each and the same structures.

Upvote 0
I think that the issue is that you haven't assigned a name to the command buttons so it's trying to default to "CommandButton1" for each one (when using Set Btn = objFrm.Designer.Controls.Add("Forms.CommandButton.1") for each). The following modification worked for me:

Code:
Sub test()
Dim objForm As Object
Dim Btn As Control
Set objFrm = ThisWorkbook.VBProject.VBComponents("UserForm1")
 topPos = topPos + 24
            Set Btn = objFrm.Designer.Controls.Add("Forms.CommandButton.1"[COLOR=#ff0000],[/COLOR] [COLOR=#ff0000]"CmdBtn1"[/COLOR])
            With Btn
                  .Caption = "Refresh View": .Height = 24: .Width = 78: .Left = 18: .Top = topPos:
            End With

'GIVES ME AN ERROR SOMEWHERE IN THE CODE BLOCK BELOW
            With objFrm.CodeModule
                  Line = .CountOfLines
                  .InsertLines Line + 5, "     lRow = Sheets(""Headers"").Range(""A500"").end(xlUp).Row"
                  .InsertLines Line + 8, "               Case Is <> """":        Cells(v, 1) = Me.Controls(""TextBox"" & v - 1)"
                  .InsertLines Line + 9, "               Case Else:              Sheets(""Headers"").Range(""A"" & v).EntireRow.Delete"
            End With
            'GIVES ME AN ERROR SOMEWHERE IN THE CODE BLOCK ABOVE

Set Btn = objFrm.Designer.Controls.Add("Forms.CommandButton.1"[COLOR=#ff0000], "CmdBtn2"[/COLOR])
            With Btn
                  .Caption = "Save & Close": .Height = 24: .Width = 78: .Left = 114: .Top = topPos:
            End With

With objFrm.CodeModule
                  Line = .CountOfLines
            End With
End Sub

Regards,

CJ

Upvote 0
I think that the issue is that you haven't assigned a name to the command buttons so it's trying to default to "CommandButton1" for each one (when using Set Btn = objFrm.Designer.Controls.Add("Forms.CommandButton.1") for each). The following modification worked for me:

Code:
Sub test()
Dim objForm As Object
Dim Btn As Control
Set objFrm = ThisWorkbook.VBProject.VBComponents("UserForm1")
 topPos = topPos + 24
            Set Btn = objFrm.Designer.Controls.Add("Forms.CommandButton.1"[COLOR=#ff0000],[/COLOR] [COLOR=#ff0000]"CmdBtn1"[/COLOR])
            With Btn
            End With

'GIVES ME AN ERROR SOMEWHERE IN THE CODE BLOCK BELOW
            With objFrm.CodeModule
                  Line = .CountOfLines
            End With
            'GIVES ME AN ERROR SOMEWHERE IN THE CODE BLOCK ABOVE

Set Btn = objFrm.Designer.Controls.Add("Forms.CommandButton.1"[COLOR=#ff0000], "CmdBtn2"[/COLOR])
            With Btn
            End With

With objFrm.CodeModule
                  Line = .CountOfLines
            End With
End Sub

Regards,

CJ

CJ<

Well, that seems to have taken care of the button issue. The buttons are both being built correctly with their respective code. Thanks! Of course, it reveals another issue on the next code block, but it may be the same problem so I'll work it out.

Strangely, I have several other procedures that build forms on the fly using the exact same code, and none of them fail. I have to wonder why they work so well and this one decided to fail? Unless they no longer work and I just haven't checked them recently...:eek:

Based on your signature, I owe you either a dollar, 2 dollars or 3 dollars. In any event, I owe you. Thanks!

Upvote 0
It doesn't surprise me that you having problems with this: I've noticed that when it comes to form building with VBA quirkiness abounds.

And, yes, you owe me big time! :)

CJ

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiguekHeka

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back