Code Library Organizer - What do you use?

tweedle

So over time one accumulates a lot of little code snippets, and some very specialized ones to archive and pull out when needed.

What does anyone here use to keep code modules organized?
Right now I'm using TextPad Workspaces to group common themes and templates together; wondering if there is a better way.
Seems there should be.

My Apologies if this should have been in the General Excel forum, my decision matrix is in the shop.

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
I have hundreds of code snippets. I did try the textpad method and even MS Access but it was never satisfactory from the need to copy/paste code to the "store" and then back to a module each time.

I therefore use normal workbooks in a single XL_MACROS folder. I have a handful of sub folders where Excel is combined with other applications like Word/Access/ or Internet Explorer. Some workbooks may contain a single macro, others contain several macros on a single subject (eg. file handling). The big benefit here is that a file can be opened and the macro run immediately.

It is possible to search for words contained in files, but I rarely need to use this. I always put comments in my code, including a heading to say what the code does.

I will also reveal my other secret/non-secret store. ;) Because the same basic problems keep arising I store code in places like this, for which I have an index listing in a single text file
http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=277766

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raviguru

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back