code(VBA) fail when reading most of the data , but work on some why?

Darkforce

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have this code. it seens to work on the 3 first(row 2 ,3,4) line of data but seens to fail on all other of the line then that like this row 5

any idear why ?

1639715544317.png

Dim rownr
rownr = 4
Do Until Cells(rownr, 1).Value = ""
sal = ""
Dim E_name As String
E_name = ""
E_name = CStr(Ark1.Cells(rownr, 1).Value)
MsgBox (E_name)
'Why does this line fail ?
sal = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(E_name, Ark1.Range("A:D"), 3, False)
'line end
MsgBox "Salary is : $ " & sal
sal = ""
rownr = rownr + 200
Loop

End Sub

Attachments

• 1639715517873.png
    1639715517873.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 6

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
It's really not clear what you are doing here ...

You say your code works on rows 2,3 and 4, but your row counter starts at 4, and increments by 200.

And it looks like E_name and the VLOOKUP are both pointing at the same place in Ark1?

You haven't made clear what you mean by "fail" but I'm guessing you're getting a Run-time error 1004: Unable to get the VLookup property of the Worksheet function class? Which simply means your VLOOKUP is not finding a match.

That could be because you have numbers in column A, but E_name is converting your lookup_value to a string?

Upvote 0
It's really not clear what you are doing here ...

You say your code works on rows 2,3 and 4, but your row counter starts at 4, and increments by 200.

And it looks like E_name and the VLOOKUP are both pointing at the same place in Ark1?

You haven't made clear what you mean by "fail" but I'm guessing you're getting a Run-time error 1004: Unable to get the VLookup property of the Worksheet function class? Which simply means your VLOOKUP is not finding a match.

That could be because you have numbers in column A, but E_name is converting your lookup_value to a string?
well the +200 is only so I do not have to Click ok 500 times each time I try to run the code. .. I don´t have the hotkey needed on my laptop stop the code when it is started

I can chance the start row in the code just to test where the problem is .

what I doing is trying to step by step learding the thing i need to a most bigger project.. I want to make a excel sheet that get data form an sql .. and combi it with some text that the user better understand .

end project is somthing like this

1639722176549.png

where the data get updatet.. so the uses easy can see what each materiale cost

Upvote 0
If I understand this correctly, I think you are saying that when rownr = 5, the code "fails" on this line:

sal = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(E_name, Ark1.Range("A:D"), 3, False)

What do you mean by "fails"? Is sal not what you were expecting? Or are you getting a run-time error, because the VLookup is not finding a match?

Is the value in cell A5 of worksheet Ark1 3111012012, as shown in your picture? Is this a number? Or is it a text value?

Upvote 0
ean by "fails"? Is sal not what you we
If I understand this correctly, I think you are saying that when rownr = 5, the code "fails" on this line:

What do you mean by "fails"? Is sal not what you were expecting? Or are you getting a run-time error, because the VLookup is not finding a match?

Is the value in cell A5 of worksheet Ark1 3111012012, as shown in your picture? Is this a number? Or is it a text value?
I get an error ... think it is an 1004 if i remember correcly

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cancansova

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back