Coding for a question with multiple answers in Excel

achusp

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

A thanks in advance to whoever replies

I have a question in my project for which participants can select multiple answers. The data was obtained through google forms where the file was exported to csv

for example for a question it may have answers like following

Respondent 1 - 01;02;03;05;07;12
Respondent 2 - 01;02;03;04;07;08
Respondent 3 - 01;03;06;07;09;10

There are 12 options in actual …for convenience sake I’m putting the options as alphabets and they are seperated with semi colons like shown in the pic. How can I automatically split the values such that there is a column for each option with values 0 or 1 against the cell
Like shown in the below pic

tempsnip.jpg

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Hi Achusp,

Does this do what you want?

Achusp.xlsx
ABCDEF
1RespondentsQuestion
2Respondent 1A;C;E
3Respondent 2A;B;C
4Respondent 3A;C;D
7RespondentQuestion 1
8ABCDE
9Respondent 110101
10Respondent 211100
11Respondent 310110
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B9:F11B9=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(B$8,INDEX($B$2:$B$4,MATCH($A9,$A$2:$A$4,0)))),1,0)

Upvote 0
Oh definitely !!! You are a life saver !! Thanks a million !!! But the thing is the options in actual are long phrases and there are 12 answer options + an "other" option as such too. If you could, could you please tell me more about how you did this formula? I don't know much about excel commands per se

Upvote 0
Never mind, I just replaced the options with A,B,C,D...etc and did it with your formula. Thanks a bunch mate !!!!

Upvote 0
I don't use Google Forms so I don't know the format of the data you've exported. It would be most helpful if you could use XL2BB to provide a sanitized example of your data and desired results so forum members can better assist.

Until I can see a real example I can only explain the formula provided.

The formula in cell B9 is constructed in such a way (through use or absence of a "$" to indicate absolute or relative addressing) that it can be copy & pasted down and left to right but maintains the correct cell addressing. The formula in B9 is
=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(B$8,INDEX($B$2:$B$4,MATCH($A9,$A$2:$A$4,0)))),1,0)
but I will explain using the formula in D10 so you understand the use of the "$".
=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(D$8,INDEX($B$2:$B$4,MATCH($A10,$A$2:$A$4,0)))),1,0)

As with math the calculations/functions are performed from the innermost parentheses outwards. Breaking down that formula from the innermost outwards gives:

MATCH($A10,$A$2:$A$4,0)
MATCH returns the row or column number which matches. In this case we are searching for $A10 ($A says the column is fixed and 10 says the row is relative when you copy&paste the formula) which is "Respondent 2" and we're searching $A$2:$A$4 so it returns a row. In this case 2.

INDEX($B$2:$B$4, )
INDEX retrieves a cell contents for the specified row and/or column. In this case we only specify a row (the 2 returned by the MATCH) so our INDEX results are "A;B;C", the second row of $B$2:$B$4.

FIND(D$8, )
This looks for the string in $D8, the heading contents "C", in the string returned by INDEX, "A;B;C". If it find it then it returns a number which is the position of the match (in this case we would get a 5 because "C" is in the fifth position of "A;B;C". If the string searched for isn't found the you get a #VALUE error.

ISNUMBER( )
Gives a logical TRUE if the result of the FIND was a number, in this case it returns a TRUE as 5 is a number. If the FIND had returned a #VALUE error then ISNUMBER would return a FALSE.

=IF( ,1,0)
IF checks a logical state and returns the first option if TRUE or the second if FALSE. In this case ISNUMBER returned a TRUE so it gives the first option of 1. If the check was FALSE then it would return the second option 0.

Upvote 0
Man, truly !!! Thank you Thank you Thank you !!! You saved me three days worth of manual editing !!!!

Upvote 0
You're welcome!
...but please, not so effusive. You're making me blush.
1596551469219.png

Upvote 0
Haha, thats cuz you don't know how many hairs I've pulled out over this !!!! :D :D

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffman431a

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back