colour code a drop down menu with only two options

flylikeanangel

hi. i have a snap shot of my drop down cell issue but i do not think it can be uploaded.

so it goes as follows.

cell d40 is a drop down with just two options over and under

cell h40 is auto formulated cell either showing positive number or a negative number.

i have been ask to make d40 turn red when it is a negative .. showing the word under
and
d40 to show white if the number is positive.

i have tried a few unconditional formats .. but no luck

can you help me with this .. thanks barbara

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Hi Barbara,

select cells to receive format colouring (D40). Click conditional formatting /New Rule/ Use formula to determine cells to format. Type =AND(H40<0, D40="Under") . Select your colour. This formula will Colour D40 only if H40 is less than zero and D40 contains the word under. Hope it works for you
Macka

Upvote 0
Hi Barbara,

select cells to receive format colouring (D40). Click conditional formatting /New Rule/ Use formula to determine cells to format. Type =AND(H40<0, D40="Under") . Select your colour. This formula will Colour D40 only if H40 is less than zero and D40 contains the word under. Hope it works for you
Macka

(hello Macka.. thanks for the speedy response. that did not work for me .. is there a way for me to put up a quick snap shot of the cells involved.)

Upvote 0
hello mark m. there are no messages in my inbox. i checked .. it stated no messages and one stored. the only person that has replied is you. ? so i am confused about that

again, i would like to send you a print screen of the cells involved.

regards, barbara

ps. the cell with the negative number is a formated cell is that why i cannot get the under in the other cell to show red .. even if i take out the drop down and the managers type over or under .. i would like the under to be red is the number is -$53.99 for example

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
hello mark m. there are no messages in my inbox. i checked .. it stated no messages and one stored. the only person that has replied is you. ? so i am confused about that

Never a good idea to put personal info (email) in a public forum :(

Upvote 0
My understanding of your question ,is that you have a DD (D40), and another cell (H40) that shows either a plus or minus value. (Does not sound like H40 id linked to D40?)

Then, based on if H40 is pos, you want D40 to turn white or red is neg?
That can be done with Conditional Formatting
=H40<0 format fill RED
You only need 1 rule for this, just leave the cell white, and let CF change it when neg

Upvote 0
hello thanks .. i will try your way. sorry about the email. it was stated my inbox was full and i have only been on the site for less than 3 days .. i was not sure what wny so that is why i gave him the email. can you delete that post or can I ??

Upvote 0
- thanks for the mgs. i have read over several and i am not able to get the results i want .. hence that is why i am posting. not all of us are excel expertise but strive to be.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back