Column Row, move some row data, how??

excelboxnovice

I am very new to Excel so please excuse the limited knowledge of asking this question within this community.

I have a Column that contains emails in each row, however SOME of the rows contain the website url as well. I can't figure out HOW to separate the website into its own column while maintaining the SAME ROW because all the data within the row is associated with each other.

Here is examples. note: I have changed the domain/url to respect the privacy.

COLUMN A:

A1: mailto:contact@domain.com

A2: mailto:info@domain; http://www.domain.com/goto.php?type=l&agtid=129&url=www.domain.com;

A3: mailto:contact@domain.com

etc

I look forward to your reply and thank you in advance for your feedback.

Please try to keep the answers very detailed (step by step) because of my limited excel knowledge.

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Hi there,

TEXTtoColumns is your friend on this query...

I will try to give an overview of what happens before you try it:

In the example at the bottom of this message I am assuming you only have data in column A,

If you have other data in columns afterwards (b,c and D in this example) then please note they could get overwritten (if there is data the system will ask you if you want to replace existing data), unless you insert extra columns. You can either insert extra columns, or copy your column to another sheet and run this same process

In the example you gave, we will use the ; (semi colon) as the character (delimiter) we will 'split' our text with.
Code:
mailto:info@domain; http://www.domain.com/goto.php?type=...ww.domain.com;

Doing a text to columns will create 3 columns (if you accept the overwrite existing data option that appears)
mailto:info@domainhttp://www.domain.com/goto.php?type=...ww.domain.comthis is a blank column as you had a semi colon on the end of your text

PROCESSING YOUR DATA

To process all of your data in column A, select it (click the capital A in the grey bars)
Click the Data tab and click the TEXT to COLUMNS in the data tools section

• in the window, make sure delimited is chosen, click next
  • In the window tick semicolon, click next
  • in the next window, make any changes you want and click finish

(if you have data in columns b, c etc) - it will ask you to replace it at this point!

For an pretty (with images) way of following the above, visit the Microsoft website here

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back