Combination Chart, Stacked Columns with a Line for Percent

SerenityNetworks

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have data similar to what is shown in the table below. I'd like to produce a combo chart with stacked columns and a line. Along the x-axis should be the class numbers. The stacked columns should show graduated (Yes, No, and N/A). The line should should the percentage of graduated equaling yes. I do not want lines for graduated equaling no or n/a. It has been a few years since I've done this sort of graph and for the life of me I can't recall how to do it. Any help will be appreciated.

Class NumberNameOther DataGraduated
1BobRedYes
1TedOrangeYes
1CarolYellowYes
1AliceGreenNo
2AndrewBlueYes
2LamarIndigoNo
3JeanVioletYes
3PatThinYes
3TimThickYes
3CraigN/ANo
3AnnSolidN/A
3SheilaLiquidN/A
3JeffGagNo
...through class 45

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Can you help define what you want in the columns? I see 2 or 3 different kinds of values. But, they are still unique by name.
Where is the summary data that the chart is actually based on?

Upvote 0
i re-read your question. I guess the 2 center columns are not important in this scenario.

Upvote 0
Somthing Like this:
1680362188977.png

mr excel questions 21.xlsm
ABCDEFGHIJK
1Class NumberNameOther DataGraduatedYesNoN/A%Yes
21BobRedYes131043%
31TedOrangeYes211014%
41CarolYellowYes332243%
51AliceGreenNo
62AndrewBlueYes
72LamarIndigoNo
83JeanVioletYes
93PatThinYes
103TimThickYes
113CraigN/ANo
123AnnSolidN/A
133SheilaLiquidN/A
143JeffGagNo
Sheet8
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G2:I4G2=COUNTIFS($A$2:$A$14,$F2,$D$2:$D$14,G$1)
J2:J4J2=G2/SUM($G$2:$G$4)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick response. I'm not sure what information you are asking for beyond what I have already provided. I have attached a mock-up of what I am looking to produce. Does this help?

PS. I'll be offline until this evening, so please do not expect a response again before then.

Thanks again,
Andrew
Graph.jpg

Upvote 0
I just saw your reply, but I must rush off. You have the idea. Your percentages are not what I expect, but your graph is what I envision. I need to know how to produce the graph.

Thanks again,
Andrew

Upvote 0
Well, I thought calculated "percentage of graduated equaling yes" for the records in your sample.

When you get back, to avoid any more confusion maybe can post the source data elements as you have them calculated.

Upvote 0
I see. You were giving the percentage of yeses per class on the total number of yeses. I needed the percentage of yeses per class on the total number in the class.

But either way, I still do not see how to make the combo graph you generated. I was hoping to create it from a pivot table and graph. In that way it can be more dynamic. For example right now I have "Yes", "No", and "N/A", but later I might add something more specific than "N/A" like "Deceased" or "Moved". A pivot table would pick that up automatically from the data. If I'm generating the graph from a secondary/summary table then I would need to rebuild the secondary/summary table. But I'm open to solutions. Right now, I can't create the type of graph I need. That is where I am stuck.

Thanks again,
Andrew

Graph 3.jpg

Upvote 0
1. I made a short screen recording of how to make the chart. Send me your email in a DM and I'll send it to you. Or give me a drop box location to upload it to.
2. I hate pivots, :) I prefer my reporting via automatically updating and dynamic formula grids. But regardless, the data needs to be calculated somehow. But, because of that, I have no idea how to calculate percentage of all in a pivot.
3. Here is the updated worksheet with the percentage of all in the formulas.

mr excel questions 21.xlsm
ABCDEFGHIJK
1Class NumberNameOther DataGraduatedYesNoN/A%Yes
21BobRedYes131023%
31TedOrangeYes21108%
41CarolYellowYes332223%
51AliceGreenNo
62AndrewBlueYes
72LamarIndigoNo
83JeanVioletYes
93PatThinYes
103TimThickYes
113CraigN/ANo
123AnnSolidN/A
133SheilaLiquidN/A
143JeffGagNo
SerenityNetworks
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G2:I4G2=COUNTIFS($A$2:$A$14,$F2,$D$2:$D$14,G$1)
J2:J4J2=G2/SUM($G$2:I$4)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grijken

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back