Combination Chart, Stacked Columns with a Line for Percent

SerenityNetworks

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have data similar to what is shown in the table below. I'd like to produce a combo chart with stacked columns and a line. Along the x-axis should be the class numbers. The stacked columns should show graduated (Yes, No, and N/A). The line should should the percentage of graduated equaling yes. I do not want lines for graduated equaling no or n/a. It has been a few years since I've done this sort of graph and for the life of me I can't recall how to do it. Any help will be appreciated.

Class NumberNameOther DataGraduated
1BobRedYes
1TedOrangeYes
1CarolYellowYes
1AliceGreenNo
2AndrewBlueYes
2LamarIndigoNo
3JeanVioletYes
3PatThinYes
3TimThickYes
3CraigN/ANo
3AnnSolidN/A
3SheilaLiquidN/A
3JeffGagNo
...through class 45

Note: the formula grid above is not super dynamic, but you can create formulas that do what you ask, with the LET/HSTACK/VSTACK/FILTER/UNIQUE functions that are in Office 365. (if you have that).

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Here is updated chart formulas with chart building instructions:
1680393012571.png

Upvote 1
Solution
Whoohoo! Thank you so very much. Step 5 was what I was missing. I didn't notice that the second button in Combo Charts had the "with Line on Secondary Axis". I was always using the first button and thinking I could choose the secondary axis for the needed fields later when changing the chart type. That was wrong, wrong, wrong. Once I selected the "Clustered Column Chart with Line on Secondary Axis" the rest was as I remembered. I can do it with dynamic formulas or a pivot table. To clean up the pivot table to not show lines for no and n/a percentages, plus tweaking the legend labels to look decent, takes just as much effort (if not more) as adding a new element to a summary table. So I'll probably go with your method, rather than a pivot table.

Thanks again for getting me past that forgotten little detail that was killing me! Much appreciated.
Andrew

Graph 4.jpg

Upvote 0
Happy to help. I you think a post has provided you with an answer to your question, please mark it as the solution.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back