Combination Plot Quirk

gordonpsmith

Trying to figure out why making a combination plot has an impact on the displayed data points. My plot consists of three scatter plots, and one area plot. Apparently, the area plot is limiting how many data points I can display. I can identify as long a range as I want, but the plot will only show as many data points as are involved in the area plot.

I would like to use the area plot to "shade in" underneath one of the scatter plots, but be able to plot an additional scatter plot with a larger-than-contained-in-the-acrea-plot-but-unknown-at-the-start number of data points. Am I missing a switch or better way to do this?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
It's possible that the area plot is limiting the number of data points you can display because it is taking up too much space on the chart, leaving less space for the scatter plots. One possible solution is to adjust the size and placement of the area plot to make more room for the scatter plots.

Here are some steps you can try:

1. Select the chart and click on the area plot to select it.
  2. Right-click on the area plot and choose "Format Data Series" from the context menu.
  3. In the Format Data Series pane, click on "Fill & Line" and adjust the transparency and color of the area plot as desired.
  4. Click on "Size & Properties" and adjust the "Width" and "Height" values to make the area plot smaller.
  5. Click on "Position" and adjust the "X" and "Y" values to move the area plot to a different location on the chart.
  6. Click on "Close" to apply the changes.
By making the area plot smaller and moving it to a different location, you should be able to make more room for the scatter plots and display a larger number of data points.

Alternatively, you could consider using a different chart type that allows you to display multiple scatter plots and an area plot without overlapping or limiting the number of data points. For example, you could try using a stacked column chart or a stacked bar chart with different colors for each scatter plot and the area plot. This would allow you to visualize the data without overlapping and limit the number of data points.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danger_SF

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back