Combinations for creating a match schedule for soccer games

gunner11

Hi. I am trying to create a schedule of games in excel. I have 20 players on my team. I would like to create a schedule where these 20 players are divided into 4 teams of 5 players on each team. I am going to try to play every possible combination of matches possible throughout the year. I know that there are 15504 possible combinations of 5 player teams from 20 players (and I used http://www.telefonica.net/web2/kl2/VBA.Combination_Permutation(Myrna_Larson).xls to give me a spreadsheet with those combinations). Is there a way to further modify this list to group every team to create a match schedule. I would be running two games at a time, example (Players A,B,C,D,E) vs. (Players F,G,H,I,J) and (Players K,L,M,N,O) vs. (Players P,Q,R,S,T). However I want the teams to change each time, meaning every single player would play on a team with a each other at least once. Meaning the next match would be (Players A,B,C,D,F) vs. E,G,H,I,J) and (Players K,L,M,N,P) vs. (Players O,Q,R,S,T) and so on. I am not sure if my math is correct, but I think the 15504 possible combinations should yield 3876 different teams of 5 within the group. From there that yields 1938 total games between each of the four teams. Please correct me if I am wrong and if possible show me a way to group those in the spreadsheet. Thanks.

Gunner11

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcus05

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back