Combine INDEX and MATCH across Worksheets

filriyadh

Hi All,

I've been using excel for about 10 odd years now, only recently started to get in to some of the beefy stuff. This site has helped quite some.

Im basically making a roster file for our school clinic so that reports can be generated automatically and there are less hand-written records around.

I am having trouble with the 'Supplies' sheet, where I am attempting to sum up the quantities (column k) adjacent to all occurrences of a supply in Column J sheets 1 through 31. So that we can know how much of x supply was used in the whole month and so on.

Please help. Sorry if I was unclear in my writing.

=INDEX('24'!$J$3:$K$106,MATCH(B5,'24'!$J$3:$J$106,FALSE),2) Returns a value, but that is because sheet 24 has a value for b5, problem is if i use +INDEX and any of the sheets dont have a value for B5, the result is either VALUE or N/A
=SUMIF('1:31'!J5:J105,B6,'1:31'!K5:K105) gives a VALUE! error

I've also tried =INDEX('1:31'!$J$3:$K$106,MATCH(B5,'1:31'!$J$3:$J$106,FALSE),2) with no luck

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Welcome to board.
I think you need SUMIF.
However sumif cannot work across multiple sheets.
You need to SUMIF the quantity in each worksheet in a column eg
in A1=SUMIF(J:J,"Chalk",K:K)
Then in "Supplies" sheet you can consolidate with:
=SUM(1:31!A1) (I don't know if Excel will allow number only worksheet names. Try other names also.
Hope it helps.

Upvote 0
thanks for the response n welcomes.

I have a working formula but its too long and doesnt save properly on excel 2003, works on excel 2007 though

i basically need a shorter version of the working formula

=SUM ( SUMIF ('1'!$J$2:$J$106, B8,'1'!$K$2:$K$106), SUMIF ('2'!$J$2:$J$106, B8,'2'!$K$2:$K$106), SUMIF('3'!$J$2:$J$106, B8,'3'!$K$2:$K$106), SUMIF('4'!$J$2:$J$106, B8,'4'!$K$2:$K$106) .... SUMIF('31'!$J$2:$J$106, B8,'31'!$K$2:$K$106)

Upvote 0
A heavy duty but direct approach without intermediate cells would be:
=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&A1:A31&"'!J:J"),"Chalk",INDIRECT("'"&A1:A31&"'!K:K")))
Where A1 to A31 carry Sheet names 1 to 31.

Upvote 0
Re: SUMIF across Worksheets

You might try the following array formula (press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just ENTER):

=SUM(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&ROW(INDIRECT("1:31"))&"'!J:J"),B8,INDIRECT("'"&ROW(INDIRECT("1:31"))&"'!K:K")))

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Where A1 to A31 carry Sheet names 1 to 31.
If the sheet names are the sequential numbers 1 to 31 you don't need to list those in a range of cells.

=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&ROW(INDIRECT("1:31"))&"'!J:J"),"Chalk",INDIRECT("'"&ROW(INDIRECT("1:31"))&"'!K:K")))

Upvote 0
If the sheet names are the sequential numbers 1 to 31 you don't need to list those in a range of cells.

=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&ROW(INDIRECT("1:31"))&"'!J:J"),"Chalk",INDIRECT("'"&ROW(INDIRECT("1:31"))&"'!K:K")))

this should answer filyadh question

Upvote 0
As expected would happen... also answered here. Same time as #NAME?'s response too! :)

duplicate post removed by Admin

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I had already replied and then saw it was a duplicate post.

But hey, great minds think alike! ;)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back