Combine Multiple Tabs & Multiple WorkBooks Through Power Query

snaplink22

Board Regular
Hello,

I've been struggling with getting Power Query to combine 2 workbooks, with 2 tabs each. Here is my below setup:

1. Both workbooks are located in the same file folder on my desktop and are both .xlsx files.
2. Each tab's data has been converted to a table, with each table being named with the same prefix (WASS_) and the tabs titles follow the same naming convention. Each table and each tab has a different ending to their respective names however (e.g. WASS_Lindrick or WASS_Pasco)

3. On a new workbook, I select Data, Get Data, From File, From Folder. I select browse and then select the folder where these workbooks are stored.

4. Here's where things get a bit murky. I've seen a variety of videos and articles that reference what I'm supposed to do next, with each one being different. The options I have available are:
Combine drop down to select: "Combine & Transform, Combine & Load, and Combine and Load To"
Load drop down to select: "Load and Load To"
"Transform Data"

5. I've experimented with all of them, but the consequences seems to be "Transform Data". Which in turns give me this menu:
1587394377936.png

6. I removed all columns except the first two and then click on the double arrows under the Content header and select the table WASS_Lindrick1:

1587394500514.png

This, however, is where it deviates from all the videos as I only see 1 tabs worth of data displayed after clicking OK. Every thing that I've researched indicates I should be seeing all the data from all 4 of my tabs now, but I'm only seeing the first tabs data.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

or analyse this code and adapt to your needs
Rich (BB code):
let
    Source = Folder.Files("path_to_folder"),
    ROC = Table.SelectColumns(Source,{"Content", "Name"}),
    Content0 = ROC{0}[Content],
    Import0 = Excel.Workbook(Content0),
    ROC0 = Table.SelectColumns(Import0,{"Name", "Data"}),
    Expand0 = Table.ExpandTableColumn(ROC0, "Data", {"Column1", "Column2", "Column3", "Column4", "Column5", "Column6"}, {"Data.Column1", "Data.Column2", "Data.Column3", "Data.Column4", "Data.Column5", "Data.Column6"}),
    Content1 = ROC{1}[Content],
    Import1 = Excel.Workbook(Content1),
    ROC1 = Table.SelectColumns(Import1,{"Name", "Data"}),
    Expand1 = Table.ExpandTableColumn(ROC1, "Data", {"Column1", "Column2", "Column3", "Column4", "Column5", "Column6"}, {"Data.Column1", "Data.Column2", "Data.Column3", "Data.Column4", "Data.Column5", "Data.Column6"}),
    Append = Table.Combine({Expand0, Expand1}),
    Filter = Table.SelectRows(Append, each ([Data.Column1] <> null)),
    Sort = Table.Sort(Filter,{{"Data.Column1", Order.Descending}}),
    RTR = Table.Skip(Sort,4),
    Promote = Table.PromoteHeaders(RTR, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    Type = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Promote,{{"Sheet1", type text}, {"Week 1", Int64.Type}, {"Week 2", Int64.Type}, {"Week 3", Int64.Type}, {"Year", Int64.Type}, {"Month", Int64.Type}, {"Day", Int64.Type}}),
    Rename = Table.RenameColumns(Type,{{"Sheet1", "Sheet"}}),
    Result = Table.Sort(Rename,{{"Sheet", Order.Ascending}})
in
    Result

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Hi sandy666,
Out of thread context. Your avatar logo is the Brussels Iris flower, hence the "From highway to hell"? :devilish:

Upvote 0
That screen offers to select a "sample" from which it creates a function. That function is then applied on the other workbooks. It can be handy but generally speaking I don't like that.
[/QUOTE]

MarH, is there another way to create that function instead of using the Combine option? I created a sample set of documents to work with as the other files were large and contained company data. After I added the Custom Column I then expanded it (Table1 corresponds with WA_ONE and so on). My guess is the next step would to be to right-click the the (table) Test icon on the far left and select Create Function, then select Advanced Editor once it has been created to pull up the (M?) code.

1587411013237.png

Attachments

• 1587410893580.png
    1587410893580.png
    50.1 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennimack

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back