Combine Specific Columns in Pivot Table

kenzie

Hi Everyone:

I have been trying to search this issue for a while with no luck:

I have a list of people with certain classifications and need to "roll-up" some of those classifications into high level groups. For instance, if I have a list of people with their favorite ice cream and the $ they have spent on ice cream. Some like vanilla, some like chocolate, and some like vanilla and chocolate equally.

I want to create a pivot table that shows the people as row items and the amount of $ they have spent on vanilla (one column) and chocolate (second column) ice cream.

So, this is simple for people who like vanilla or chocolate, but not both. My question is: how can I add the total amount of money for vanilla+chocolate people into BOTH the vanilla and chocolate column (i know this wouldn't make sense to add total value to both, but that is what I am trying to do).

I also want the table to remain interactive, so that when I click on the values, it expands into another sheet that shows the details for each person (e.g., how many purchases they made, etc.)

Thank you for your help -- please let me know if this is not descriptive enough.

P.S. - I don't know how to do macros =(

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
The easiest way to do this is back in your raw data. You need to create a new column with a higher level grouping, like "Combined Flavors". Then you create a formula in each row to test for certain conditions (ie values in both the chocolate and vanilla columns) and you assign your new group value, like Choc-Vanilla.

Then set your pivot table to include this new column and you should be all set.

Upvote 0
Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for your reply. I actually have the table set up this way (with the combined data displayed as its own column). My raw data has the combined classifications listed and this is all displayed in my table. For the intent of my real life example, I only want to show the high level classifications (i.e., only vanilla and chocolate).

I do not know if I can selectively add columns together in the table, so my next thought was if it was possible to create a data table with an IF function: saying that IF a row in my raw data contained "vanilla" add that $ to the vanilla column, etc. That way, it could pick up cells that had Vanilla and Chocolate listed in the cell and add the value equally to both vanilla and chocolate columns.

But, I have no idea if that is possible. Otherwise, I am stuck =/

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluedbw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back