Combining a stacked bar graph with a line chart

Cinern

Hi there,
I've been struggling to combine these two different types of graphs together - I have made the stacked bar graph and a line graph and would love to just somehow overlay the bar graph with the line graph.

From the research I've done I've seen recommendations to add the data relating to the line graph to the stacked bar graph and then just to change the series but I'm not too sure this is possible in my case as the horizontal axis is a bit different. For the stacked bar graph I just want a bar for each year (so have data relating to 2010, 2012, 2013 etc) but for the line graph I have specific data for each day of all these years - so can't really combine?

any direction would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
if you are plotting just the years - can you combine the figures to show just 1 years for the line graph ?
or
for every day - you will need to choose the value for each year and show that with the gaps

Upvote 0
are you really going to plot a 1000 points across the axis

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply - I only want the years down the x-axis but kind of assumed all the dates were important in getting that? How would I go about combining the figures to just show 1 years for the line graph?

thanks again :)

Upvote 0
depends on what your data needs to do
do you just sum all the days - or is it an average ?

then create a new row for your chart data and apply whatever maths you need to combine the line data to years total?

Upvote 0
you could add another row/lines for your data, against the days, then either combine as weeks, months, qtrs once you have values you are happy with then i would plot your columns on one axis and line on the other, set to the same mamimums / growth factors etc

example Present your data in a combination chart - Excel

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back