Combining Charts

SunnyDay7

I am trying to create a chart that shows the 4 quartiles of a pay band, and where individual salaries fall within that payband. So the payband chart is easy enough using a stacked bar chart. Now what I have been unable to do, is plot the individual salaries on the chart. When I tried, using a scatter chart, the salaries were plotted on a secondary axis, and therefore did not appear in the pay bad quartiles. This seems like it should be simple enough to do, but hours (actually days) later and I think it must be impossible.

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
If you delete the secondary Y axis, all data will default to using the primary axis.

Upvote 0
I was so hopeful to try that today, unfortunately, it didn't work. The axis goes away, but the data points don't shift to the primary axis. Thanks for the idea, though.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I envisioned a vertically stacked chart (column chart). Horizontal bar charts follow different rules. You need to plot the actual salary points as the X values of the XY series, and use 0.5 as all the Y values, then format the secondary X axis to mimic the primary X axis, and the secondary Y axis so it runs 0 to 1. Then hide or delete the secondary Y axis.

Upvote 0
Actually, starting from scratch, I made my stacked horizontal bar chart, copied the XY data, pasted it into the chart (paste-special) with categories in first row, converted to XY, and it worked fine on the bar chart's horizontal axis.

I think sometimes if you mess around too much with a chart that has funny axis and chart type combinations, things get hinky and you can't fix the chart.

I saved the workbook back to Dropbox.

Upvote 0
FANTASTIC! Exactly what I was going for. Thanks so much for your help ... I think you're right about messing around with it too much and then nothing seems to work.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksjohnson1970

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back