Combining formula results to create a dynamic index

Randy_22

Hello and thanks for reading.

In one column I am using the match function to match an item on one list to an item on another, returning the index of the matched item. Now since there are multiple occurrences of items on the second list I want to have a second column that seeks to find a match that may occur after the first match. So I want the match array in the second column to begin on the row after that which was provided in the first column. That is why I included the match function from the first column which is underlined here. this is what I came up with:

=MATCH(F2, "'Extra Parts Summary'!C"&"(MATCH(F2,'Extra Parts Summary'!C$2:C$299,0))+1":C299,0)

I want the result of the formula from the first column +1 to combine with the column index C using the ampersand and for the match formula to search from that point to the end of the list on the second page. But I can't get it to work. The text I highlighted red is the problem I believe. Any help is appreciated!:rolleyes:

Thanks

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Randy_22,

You will need to use the INDIRECT function if you are to build a reference in that way.
Unless I've typo'd then try....

=MATCH(F2,INDIRECT( "'Extra Parts Summary'!C"&MATCH(F2,'Extra Parts Summary'!C$2:C$299,0)+1&":C299"),0)

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drewmorgan128

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back