Combining multiple text strings into one cell

headroom

I'm a newbie - please be gentle!

I'm building an "activity log" in Excel - to make activity entry simple and standardized, I've assigned a numerical code number (1-16) to each activity description. The user would then enter all of the number codes for what they did that day into one cell and then the cell next to it would auto-populate with all of the corresponding descriptions.

For example:

Column 1 are dates; column 2 is where the user enters multiple number codes for each day; column 3 would then auto-populate with multiple text descriptions based on the users' codes, column 4 allows user to enter amount of time spent [irrelevant to this question]; columns 5 and 6 are numbered activity descriptions (with column 6 being the source of the auto-populate text descriptions).

I'm having a hard time coming up with a formula that is able to return multiple text strings into the same cell - all of the IF variations I've tried only return one value/description.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Is custom VBA an option? Otherwise your formula will end up looking like:

Code:
=IFERROR(IF(FIND(1,B1),VLOOKUP(1,$E$1:$F$16,2,0),""),"") & CHAR(10) &  IFERROR(IF(FIND(2,B1),VLOOKUP(2,$E$1:$F$16,2,0),""),"") & CHAR(10) & IFERROR(IF(FIND(3,B1),VLOOKUP(3,$E$1:$F$16,2,0),""),"")

etc. etc. And I already see issues since 1 is found in 16...

Upvote 0
Thanks, NRS! Not up to speed with VBA, so I'll try your code. To solve the number duplication issue, would it work to switch to letters? For example: =IFERROR(IF(FIND(a,B1),VLOOKUP(a,$E$1:$F$16,2,0),""),"")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aivin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back