Combining NETWORKDAYS with IF, THEN, OR formulas

searchingforhelp

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am having trouble combining formulas and deciphering which formula is best for what is needed. I am currently using the NETWORKDAYS formula, but I cannot connect it with what I am trying to accomplish due to my skill sets.

What I need assistance in is as follows:

1. the formula needs to calculate business days only, excluding weekends.

2. I would need to calculate the days from when the assignment was originally assigned (Column A) to the date when assignment was completed (Column C). However, if there is a reassignment date (column B), have the formula automatically adjust to calculate the reassignment date (Column B) to when the assignment was completed (column C).

3. Lastly, if the reassignment date (Column B) exceeds the assignment completion date, automatically calculate original assigned date (Column A) from when the assignment was completed.

This is where I am stuck. Combining 1,2 and 3 into one formula so I can drag down as more data is entered on the sheet.

Thanking you in advance for any help you can provide.

Example.xlsx
ABCD
1Date when Originally assignedDate when assignment was reassignedDate when assignment was completedNumber of Days
23/10/20213/12/20213
33/10/20213/11/20213/18/20216
43/10/20213/15/20203/11/20212
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D2,D4D2=NETWORKDAYS(A2,C2)
D3D3=NETWORKDAYS(B3,C3)

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
How about
Excel Formula:
=NETWORKDAYS(IF(B2>C2,A2,MAX(A2,B2)),C2)

Upvote 0
How about
Excel Formula:
=NETWORKDAYS(IF(B2>C2,A2,MAX(A2,B2)),C2)
Hi Fluff, sorry about the late reply. Thank you so much for this! I truly appreciate it. I was playing with the formula and was wondering if you can modify the formula regarding row 3. Instead of having row 3 calculate from Date when assignment was reassigned (column B) to Date when assignment was completed (column C). Have the formula only calculate Date originally assigned (Column A) to the date when assignment was reassigned (Column B) and have the formula still work for what I needed help with regarding Row 2 and 4 which is:

1. Formula needs to calculate business days only, excluding weekends
2. Calculate the days from when the assignment was originally assigned (Column A) to the date when assignment was completed (Column C)- this will be row 2
3. If the reassignment date (Column B) exceeds the assignment completion date, automatically calculate original assigned date (Column A) from when the assignment was completed- this will be row 4

Thanking you in advance for your time.

Upvote 0
So if B3<C3 you want to calculate the number of days between A3 & B3?

Upvote 0
So if B3<C3 you want to calculate the number of days between A3 & B3?
Hi Fluff, Yes. instead of counting the number of days between B3 and C3, calculate the number of days between A3 and B3. However, this should only apply to row 3. As I would need row 2 and row 4 to calculate as it is presently doing. Hope this clarifies and thank you.

Upvote 0
Ok, how about
Excel Formula:
=NETWORKDAYS(IF(B2>C2,A2,MAX(A2,B2)),IF(AND(B2<>"",B2<C2),B2,C2))

Upvote 0
Ok, how about
Excel Formula:
=NETWORKDAYS(IF(B2>C2,A2,MAX(A2,B2)),IF(AND(B2<>"",B2<C2),B2,C2))
Thank you Fluff! The Formula works! I will continue to test it on a larger data scale.

Quick Question and this should be the last request. Since you help me solve original assignment, can you help me solve the reassignment with a separate formula that I will place in a separate cell? So, basically it will be same principle but what is needed is:

1. Lets start with row 2. If there is no date when assignment was reassigned (Column B), have (Column E) state “not applicable”.

2. For row 3, if there is a date in Column B and a Date in Column C, calculate the Number of days in Column D

3. If the Date when assignment was reassigned (Column B) exceeds Date when assignment was completed (Column C), in Column E, state “Not applicable”.

This is only for reassignments. Thank you again, you are a life saver.

Upvote 0
How about
Excel Formula:
=IF(OR(B2="",B2>B3),"not applicable","")

Upvote 0
You said for row 3 to calc the days in col D which is what the original formula does.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RExcelSearch

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back