Combining tables into one without Power Query

SevenOut

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I have two tables (same worksheet), each with a single column. Both tables contain names only (Doe, John).
I would like to create a third table, single column only of all the names in Tables 1 and 2 that can be sorted alphabetically.
Preferably skipping blank cells.

So far, my attempts will only sort numerically and only data from the first table. Blank cells show as zeroes.
Have had no luck with Power Query.

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Pivot Table Wizard, has not worked. Ends with a popup stating "This command requires at least two rows of source data..."

Upvote 0
Will the Pivot Table update as new data is entered into the first two tables?

Upvote 0
example with PQ

names.png

Rich (BB code):
let
    tbl1 = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    tbl2 = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table2"]}[Content],
    append = Table.Combine({tbl1, tbl2}),
    filter = Table.SelectRows(append, each ([name] <> null)),
    distinct = Table.Distinct(filter),
    sort = Table.Sort(distinct,{{"name", Order.Ascending}})
in
    sort
with one query instead of 2 or even 3 queries

Upvote 0
As the data periodically changes, auto updating is necessary as data on other worksheets will reference it. Is there an easy to update the power query as new data is added to the source tables?
Honestly, following these examples you've provided has been the most work with Power Query I've played with...

Upvote 0
two source Excel tables
one result table
if you add something to the source tables then refresh result table, that's all

Upvote 0
I have two tables (same worksheet), each with a single column. Both tables contain names only (Doe, John).
I would like to create a third table, single column only of all the names in Tables 1 and 2 that can be sorted alphabetically.
Preferably skipping blank cells.

So far, my attempts will only sort numerically and only data from the first table. Blank cells show as zeroes.
Have had no luck with Power Query.

Enter below formula as an Array formula (Ctrl+Shift+Enter) in cell C2 and copy down:

=IFERROR(INDEX(A$2:B$20,MATCH(MIN(IF(COUNTIF(C$1:C1, A$2:B$20)+(A$2:B$20="")=0, COUNTIF(A$2:B$20,"<"&A$2:B$20)+1)),INDEX(IF(A$2:B$20="", "", COUNTIF(A$2:B$20, "<"&A$2:B$20)+1),,MIN(IF(MIN(IF(COUNTIF(C$1:C1, A$2:B$20)+(A$2:B$20="")=0, COUNTIF(A$2:B$20,"<"&A$2:B$20)+1))=IF(A$2:B$20="", "", COUNTIF(A$2:B$20, "<"&A$2:B$20)+1),COLUMN(A$2:B$20)-COLUMN(A$2)+1))),0),MIN(IF(MIN(IF(COUNTIF(C$1:C1, A$2:B$20)+(A$2:B$20="")=0, COUNTIF(A$2:B$20,"<"&A$2:B$20)+1))=IF(A$2:B$20="", "", COUNTIF(A$2:B$20, "<"&A$2:B$20)+1),COLUMN(A$2:B$20)-COLUMN(A$2)+1))),"")

This will extract Unique values from columns A & B, sorted in Ascending order. In case Uniques are not required the formula will be simpler.

Attachments

• Uniques_Sorted_MultiColumns.gif
    Uniques_Sorted_MultiColumns.gif
    46.3 KB · Views: 25
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back