Combining Vlookups

feena

Hi,

I'm trying to combine 2 vlookup functions where the answer of one vlookup determines the value of the second vlookup. The reason for this is I have to pull data from a sheet (titled "TLQ") and populate it on a different sheet (called "data") where both sheets have no data in common. Because of this, I have to bring an "intermediate" sheet that "talks" to both sheets (the master sheet). My sheet is currently set up with 2 different vlookups. The first vlookup pulls corresponding data from the master sheet. Depending on that value, the second vlookup pulls the relevant data from the TLQ sheet. I ideally want this as one formula. I've tried version of match and index but that didn't seem to work. i'm not sure what the issue is.

I've researched online for several hours today and haven't found anything that exactly answers what I'm looking for so any help will be really appreciated. Thank you!

- Feena

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Something like this..

=VLOOKUP(VLOOKUP(val,array,col,false),array,col,false)

??

If you have it working with 2 seperate vlookups, post those formulas
And explain the relationship of the 2.
Like, in A1 I have vlookup(....)
Then in B1 I have vlookup(A1,....)

That may make it easier to combine them.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I'm trying to combine 2 vlookup functions where the answer of one vlookup determines the value of the second vlookup. The reason for this is I have to pull data from a sheet (titled "TLQ") and populate it on a different sheet (called "data") where both sheets have no data in common. Because of this, I have to bring an "intermediate" sheet that "talks" to both sheets (the master sheet). My sheet is currently set up with 2 different vlookups. The first vlookup pulls corresponding data from the master sheet. Depending on that value, the second vlookup pulls the relevant data from the TLQ sheet. I ideally want this as one formula. I've tried version of match and index but that didn't seem to work. i'm not sure what the issue is.

I've researched online for several hours today and haven't found anything that exactly answers what I'm looking for so any help will be really appreciated. Thank you!

- Feena
Sounds like you want to do something like this...

=VLOOKUP(VLOOKUP(A1,Master!A:B,2,0),TLQ!A:B,2,0)

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reponses, I tried the generic formulas posted and got an #N/A response. Here is how my individial vlookups are set up:

The first one: =VLOOKUP(C6, Master!$A$1:$B$1417, 2, FALSE). This gives me a text response of the product type e.g. Muffins.

The second one: =VLOOKUP(AF6, TLQ!B1:C206,2, FALSE). This references the first vlookup which is in cell AF6 "muffins" to yield the corresponding weight of Muffins.

I'm not sure if part of the issue is that I'm moving from number to text to number.

Thanks,
Feena

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reponses, I tried the generic formulas posted and got an #N/A response. Here is how my individial vlookups are set up:

The first one: =VLOOKUP(C6, Master!$A$1:$B$1417, 2, FALSE). This gives me a text response of the product type e.g. Muffins.

The second one: =VLOOKUP(AF6, TLQ!B1:C206,2, FALSE). This references the first vlookup which is in cell AF6 "muffins" to yield the corresponding weight of Muffins.

I'm not sure if part of the issue is that I'm moving from number to text to number.

Thanks,
Feena
Is this what you tried:

=VLOOKUP(VLOOKUP(C6,Master!$A$1:$B$1417,2,0),TLQ!B1:C206,2,0)

Upvote 0
T. Valko, thanks so much your version worked perfectly!

My version was
=VLOOKUP(VLOOKUP(C6,Master!$A$1:$B$1417,2,0),TLQ!A1:C206,3,0)

so my array for TLQ was across 3 columns vs. your version where the array was only in 2 columns. Can you explain why it would work across 2 colums and not 3? Why does it matter as long as my array and column reference is correct? Thanks!

Feena

Upvote 0
T. Valko, thanks so much your version worked perfectly!

My version was
=VLOOKUP(VLOOKUP(C6,Master!$A$1:$B$1417,2,0),TLQ!A1:C206,3,0)

so my array for TLQ was across 3 columns vs. your version where the array was only in 2 columns. Can you explain why it would work across 2 colums and not 3? Why does it matter as long as my array and column reference is correct? Thanks!

Feena
Your original formulas were:

=VLOOKUP(C6, Master!$A$1:$B$1417, 2, FALSE)
=VLOOKUP(AF6, TLQ!B1:C206,2, FALSE)

When combined the 2nd one becomes the outer lookup and I just used the same table array. But in your combined formula you changed the table array to include column A.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoangquan2310

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back