bemcbride

I know the easiest way to do a dependent drop down is with Data Validation. However, the options in my lists are too long to use this (unfortunately, I cannot make them shorter.) I need to be able to create a 2 dependent drop downs (total 3 that cascade depending on the selection.)

I was thinking I could use a combo box and the cell link function. Then I could write a code that said "If this cell is equal to 1 then use this selection on the drop down. If this cell is equal to 2 then use this selection...etc.

Problem is I don't know if this would work and I'm not very good at writing code. There might even be a better way...

Any help is MASSIVELY appreciated, I've been trying to figure this out for ages.

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
If I understand you correctly you would like to be able to choose from a list sort of like
Meats or Vegetables. And then you could choose Steak or Hamburger or chicken or if you chose Vegetable you would choose from a list of Carrots, Onions or Beets and then you could choose from a list of maybe Small, Medium, or Large. And the final result to go on your sheet would be for example.
Steak Medium or Onions Large
Is this similar to what you want?

Upvote 0
Yes!

I don't even need a final result to come out. I just need to see the selections, it's on a form. So going with your example.

cell A1 would have a drop - Meats
cell A2 would have a drop - Steak
cell A3 would have a drop - Small

Upvote 0
You say "It's on a form". Do you mean Userform?
I don't think you can put a drop down list on a Userform.
I created a Userform with a Listbox that would show all the values in Column A1:A100 for example. And then another Listbox that would show all the values in say Column B1:B100
I was thinking that was what you wanted to do the choosing in a UserForm. Glad to help you if I can just understand what you would like.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fairooza

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back