Combo Box Drop Down Selection Makes a desired Value Appear in a Cell

elmattio

I have searched and have not been able to find an answer to this question so it might be a little unique possibly. I have an ActiveX combo box that I am trying to do something with. The text that I want to appear in the combo box is already there and I did this by creating a list and referencing it to the combo box. So the combo box has the following four items in its drop down:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Boat<o:p></o:p>
Car<o:p></o:p>
Plane<o:p></o:p>
Walk<o:p></o:p>
Now the part I cannot figure out is how to make a selected value appear in another cell based on what was selected in the combo box. For example, if boat is selected in the combo box, then I want the value 25 to appear in a cell. If Plane is selected in the combo box, I want the value of 100 to appear in a cell. For walk 5, and for car 22.<o:p></o:p>
I know this can easily be done with data validation and a validation drop down list but I do not want to use that but need to have a combo box do it instead. I just don’t know if it cannot be done as a list or not and have experimented with INDEX but not having any luck there. I do not want to use any macros for this either.<o:p></o:p>
Basically I am wondering how I can make my combo box work just like data validation drop down menu bar with formatted values outputted into a cell. <o:p></o:p>
Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated,<o:p></o:p>
Thanks! <o:p></o:p>

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Use the Linked Cell property of the combobox to get the output to appear in a specific cell.

Then turn your combobox into a multi-column combobox (again using the Properties window).

The second column will contain the number you want, 25, etc, the first column will contain the words. You may have to tinker around and reverse the order of those, haven't used a multicolumn box with a linked cell before.

Review the help file for the following properties:

Columncount
Columnwidths
Textcolumn
LinkedCell

Upvote 0
Re: Thanks!

Thanks for your response ChrisM. Messing around with columncount and columnwidths solved my problem. Now I can get my combo box text get its desired hidden number values to appear in a desired cell.

I went to three other websites and asked this question. The answers were always completly off and I feel as if they did not understand my question and/or just thought they had the answer but did not. People told me conditional formatting, data validation, and other things would solve my problem when I knew it wouldn't becasue I had tried those routes before asking for help. I should have come to this website first.

Again, thank you very much:)

Upvote 0
Re: Thanks!

Hello Elmattio,

I have the same problem as you, would you mind explaining in more detail how you solved your problem?

Thanks and Kind Regards
Simon

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SarahSomethingExcel100

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back