Combo Box To Populate Subform?

DerekK

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2003 or older
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a form which is used to add measurements taken from various instruments.

Because some instruments have different parameters and even a different number of parameters, I figured a subform was the way to go. As the parameters are specific, it is important to ensure that these are entered correctly.

E.g.:

(Main Form, Record 1):
  • Instrument A
  • [Other information about Instrument A]
(Subform):
  1. Temperature
  2. Relative Humidity

(Main Form, Record 2):
  • Instrument B
  • [Other information about Instrument B]
(Subform):
  1. Voltage
  2. Current
  3. Electrical Resistance

Therefore, what is the best way to go about populating the subform from, for instance, a combo box? Or, if there's another way altogether, I'm all ears.

Hope you can help!

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Many ways you could approach this but I'm assuming you don't want to use free form typing as that would allow spelling mistakes. I might use a listbox on the main or subform (sf) but not on sf if its continuous or datasheet. Its rowsource would be a query that returns parameters for the main form Instrument. The listbox allows for multi-select and looping over selected so as to populate sf. That solution would require code.

A combobox will only permit you to make one selection at a time. Either way, preventing multiple records with the same parameter values for any one Instrument could be handled by creating a 2 (?) field index on your table - Instrument and Parameter, but not sure how you'd handle that interruption in the code as well. A better way might be that the listbox query omits anything already found in the subform.

Upvote 1
Thank you kindly for your response @Micron , I'll take a crack at it.

The listbox allows for multi-select and looping over selected so as to populate sf. That solution would require code.

Please can you let me know what kind of (VBA) code or where I should start looking? This isn't my cheap way of trying to get someone to do my work for me, I'm just a bit new to Access.

Upvote 0
ms access vba loop through selected items in listbox

using this term in google I got 57 results, which is a lot less than I expected. One of them is M$ forums, which I looked at. Simple and short but to my surprise, uses what I'd call reserved word (item). So I'll include a link for that.

To my big surprise, "item" is not in the list for the link I gave, so I checked the object browser and "item" is a member of so many Access classes that I stopped counting at 50. All I can say is that I wouldn't use it for anything that I created. Let us know how you get on. Some options I imagine:
- as you loop over selected items you'll be either running an update query using each selected item
- or you can execute update sql in your code
- or you can create a recordset based on your table and update the recordset (don't forget to use .Update on it after .Edit)
At the end of whatever that process is, you'd Requery the subform.

Upvote 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back