Combo boxes offering different options based on the selection in another list

lloydie8

Hey,

I'm sure it can be done, and I am probably running before walking as I am new to Access but...

Is there a way where depending what is selected from the list in the Hall drop down box, only certain options appear in the Block drop down? And then again, depending on what is selected in Block, only certain options appear in the Room drop down?

Many thanks for your help
Gareth

1659354798137.png

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
You can do what you want if the combos are on a form and they are often called cascading combos. Your pic indicates you're using lookup fields in a table (that pic may be of a query, but the effect would migrate from table to query anyway) and you should not use table level lookup fields. If you can do what you want in a table I don't know (but doubt it very much) because I don't use calculated fields.

I see that there are other things you're doing that seasoned developers don't do, such as spaces and special characters in object names (save for underscore _ ). The pic also suggests you're developing tables with an Excel approach and that would be the worst mistake you can make with relational database tables. If you want a bunch of links for novices I can post them. If you're not a novice then I apologize for the characterization but not for pointing out the errors of your way. :)

Upvote 0
Thank you - yes I am very much a novice. Trying to migrate from the world of multiple spreadsheets into databases!

So any help warmly received! :)

Upvote 0
Here's what I often post. Please advise if any links don't work. If the site doesn't do it for you, find other ones on the topic that work for you. Understanding normalization is paramount. You might want to develop your tables and use relationships tool in Access to link them together and perhaps start a thread for getting feedback on that. I really think that you'll find you're going to be starting over and might as well close this thread, but that just my opinion.

Normalization Parts I, II, III, IV, and V
and/or

Entity-Relationship Diagramming: Part I, II, III and IV

How do I Create an Application in Microsoft Access?

Important for success:
Naming conventions - General: Commonly used naming conventions

What not to use in names
- Microsoft Access tips: Problem names and reserved words in Access

About Auto Numbers
- General: Use Autonumbers properly

The evils of lookup fields - The Access Web - The Evils of Lookup Fields in Tables
Table and PK design tips - Microsoft Access Tables, Primary Key Tips and Techniques
About calculated table fields - Microsoft Access tips: Calculated Fields
About Multi Value Fields - Multivalued Fields

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back