Combo Boxes

andybrst

This is really doin' my 'ead in.

It is probably something really simple, but I cannot get a Combo Box to work. I can not select a value in the dropdown list, even though it is there.

when I use the wizard to create a new box, after the selection of the field, I get the message that the Data cannot be retrieved from the source I have selected.

The source is a query run over a table.

What am I doing wrong? :x

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Can you create a query... using the same table and pulling the same information you are trying to list in your combo box?

If YES, then you have something wrong with your combo box. Recreate the combo box and use the query instead of the table... this time around.
If NO, then you have something wrong with your table. Maybe you need to compact and repair.

This isn't the solution... just a way to identify the problem. Is the table local? Do you run Compact and Repair (regularly)? What type of form did you create where you are trying to create the combo box?

Upvote 0
Hi,
I am running a query over a 1200 record table. The result of the query is 11 records.
I have used 'Create form in Design View' and the wizard, both using the query as the record source.
when I use the wizard to create a combo box in this form, I get the message. If I use the field properties screen (after create a standrad field & changing it), it will show the 11 records but will not allow selection.

Help!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
Are you using MS Access in a networked environment or stand alone? Did you just install Access recently or have you been using it, on this machine, for awhile?

Can you create another... seperate database (.mdb), create a new table and a new form with a new combo box? Do you get the same results?

If so, I'd uninstall MS Access and then reinstall it from scratch first. If my problem persisted, I'd contact Microsoft. This sounds like corruption of Access itself.

Upvote 0
Hi

Are both the form and the combo box using the same query as the control source? If so, that might be the problem. Either remove the query from being the record source of the form or unbind the combo box (ie remove the control source property for the combo box) - either change may fix the problem.

I haven't tested my suggestions but it sounds like either the form and combo box are competing for the same information or you have bound the combo box to a field that you shouldn't have.

HTH, Andrew

Upvote 0
Hi Andrew

Looks like you were right. Both the form & the control wre running off the same source. Now rectified it, and seems to be working ok.

thanks also to Boo.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back