Comma lost in number format when saving the sheet

kumar_777

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello All,

A bit of background...

I thought I had found a way to show a gram per litre (g/L) concentration in mg/L.

I gave the value a number format of "#,###0,"mg/L"<cr>%%%" (Using <ctrl-J> to enter the carriage return) and turned on word wrap to hide the %%% on the next line.

This works because the comma before the "mg/L" divides the displayed number by 1000 and each of the % multiplies the displayed number by 100.

So Number/1000*100*100*100 = Number*1000

It works fine with a number 0.05431 being shown as 54mg/L

Now the problem...

When I save the spreadsheet with this number format the comma before "mg/L" in the custom number format disappears when the spreadsheet is reopened. That is, the number format changes to "#,###0"mg/L"<cr>%%%" grrrr

I have tried lots of variations of the number format whilst keeping the basic premise of using comma's and percent symbols to make it show mg/L but it seems that the comma always disappears.

Does anyone know why the comma disappears when the spreadsheet is saved and how to stop it being lost?

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
I think you have the answer, the comma is part of the formatting in numbers, so is not a retained visual. the only way i think would to be have the number saved as a text string, and then it won't operate numerically

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cancansova

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back