Commands on Worksheets no longer work after MS Update

Gary360

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello Mr. Excel,
I have an Excel workbook that I developed using Excel 2010. I have upgraded to Excel 2019 a couple years ago. This workbook has 15 worksheets that have commands that reference to private VBA code behind each worksheet and also some public modules. It has worked fine for years.
I noticed the other day that Microsoft updated my computer (even though I always refuse them, they find a way to sneak it in anyway) because I saw the message that it had been completed. I'm still on Windows 10 Home. Now, if I click on any of my command buttons on the sheets, nothing. When I go into developer and access the VBA code, when I try to compile the code I am geting "variable not defined errors" on any reference to these commands or combo boxes that are also on the worksheets. For instance,
strRecipeName = cboFindRecipe.Text
This simple reference to the combo box "cboFindRecipe" gives the variable not defined error because it's not finding "cboFindRecipe" or doesn't understand it's an object in the sheet. These all used to work just fine. I have many commands and combo boxes in this workbook. Nothing works. I always use an option explicit declaration in my modules, but why or what has broken things so?

Thanks for your assistance.
Gary

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
its possible it reset your excel TRUST CENTER SETTINGS.
in excel (or access) :

menu: FILE, OPTIONS:
(left pane) trust center tab
far right button: TRUST CENTER SETTINGS
left pane: MACRO SETTING
Enable all macros

and it may have blocked the user's ip address. (ours were)
CONTROL PANEL
INTERNET OPTIONS
SECURITY tab
click TRUSTED SITES icon
click SITES button
add users IP addresss into box: 10.1.12.34
click ADD button

macros will then work. (for us anyway)

Upvote 0
There are a number of people having the same problem after the update (v2212), myself included. Below are a couple links that provide some additional information. It seems to affect macro enabled Excel files that are somewhat complex. I've posted some information on a potential fix (see links below) but hopefully Microsoft addresses this issue soon.

Good Luck

Upvote 0
its possible it reset your excel TRUST CENTER SETTINGS.
in excel (or access) :

menu: FILE, OPTIONS:
(left pane) trust center tab
far right button: TRUST CENTER SETTINGS
left pane: MACRO SETTING
Enable all macros

and it may have blocked the user's ip address. (ours were)
CONTROL PANEL
INTERNET OPTIONS
SECURITY tab
click TRUSTED SITES icon
click SITES button
add users IP addresss into box: 10.1.12.34
click ADD button

macros will then work. (for us anyway)
Thanks Ranman. I had already gone through the Trust Center and enabled all macros. Looked up the control panel security center and put the IP address in there, but not sure what that's supposed to do and it didn't help. Isn't that for Web sites that you initiate and visit? Why would that have anything to do with an Excel file on a local machine?
Thanks for helping.

Upvote 0
There are a number of people having the same problem after the update (v2212), myself included. Below are a couple links that provide some additional information. It seems to affect macro enabled Excel files that are somewhat complex. I've posted some information on a potential fix (see links below) but hopefully Microsoft addresses this issue soon.

Good Luck
Thanks DJIComputer!
I got my spreadsheet working again! Yes, my Excel project has a lot of code and command buttons, list boxes, etc. After reading the posts you referred to, I went into my update history and selected the last Windows update that had installed and broken the file. I then uninstalled it.
When I opened the Excel workbook, the problem persisted. So I renamed it and found a back up copy and copied the backup, same version, to my desktop. It works!
So evidently opening the file after the update must have corrupted the file. Rolling back the update, the file is corrupted, but a backup works as expected.

Thanks for your help. Hope this helps others too. Sorry if you don't have a backup. You may have to re-create the file from a blank and copy and paste things. That would have been a lot of work in my case. Grad I had a saved copy backed up.

Upvote 0
Solution
Gary,

Glad you got your file working. I had backups but they wouldn't run either. I got my files working by cleaning the VBA module cleaning method described in the links I provided.

Good Luck

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back