Comment Tracker, no Idea how to do this

colmsmyth

Hi all

Hoping some one can help as I have no idea how to do this besides manually doing it.

Essentially I want to track comments, the initial comment and then the response inline with the initial comment.

So in theory, a button called "Add Response" as seen below below that once clicked will insert a new row below the highlighted initial comment or for subsequent responses below the highlighted response.

So below, the initial comment came in, responder then highlighted that row and clicked "Add Response" which then created a new inline record to which they added their comment. Then the person who raised the initial comment highlighted the first response and clicked "Add Response".

I know this would be easy to do manually when there are only a few comments, but I am thinking when there are hundreds, ideally I don't want people adding inserts manually.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions, examples.

Excel Tracker.JPG

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
You're using the term "comments" for what are actually text entries in different cells.
This can be easily confused with Excel's actual cell "Comments" feature - which, in later versions replaced the earlier "Comments" feature - itself, now re-named to cell "Notes."

As you don't mention which version of Excel you're using, I'm going to assume it's a later one; if you right-click into a cell (which doesn't already contain any Comments, or Notes) you should see options for "New Note" and "New Comment."

You might wish to explore the New Comment feature, as it will do pretty much what you're asking for, without the need for adding new rows etc. It will allow a user to add a comment, which will be appended with their name, and a date & time. Other users can add further comments, similarly annotated with their details. Not sure whether it's exactly what you want, but it may do the trick.

Upvote 0
You're using the term "comments" for what are actually text entries in different cells.
This can be easily confused with Excel's actual cell "Comments" feature - which, in later versions replaced the earlier "Comments" feature - itself, now re-named to cell "Notes."

As you don't mention which version of Excel you're using, I'm going to assume it's a later one; if you right-click into a cell (which doesn't already contain any Comments, or Notes) you should see options for "New Note" and "New Comment."

You might wish to explore the New Comment feature, as it will do pretty much what you're asking for, without the need for adding new rows etc. It will allow a user to add a comment, which will be appended with their name, and a date & time. Other users can add further comments, similarly annotated with their details. Not sure whether it's exactly what you want, but it may do the trick.
Hi Sykes

Apologies, I was not referring to the Excel "Comments" feature, but rather comments/remarks aka text responses that people will put into the actual cells as per the screenshot.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back