Compare 2 columns in one worksheet to another

Kinez101

I have a file with over 100K rows and was wondering if there is a quick way to compare columns C and D in Previous Month to Current Month and vice-versa then output differences to Differences worksheet.

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Can you provide a sample of your data. There is probably a solution, but we have not enough data to understand what is happening.

Upvote 0
I was trying to attach file, but I don't see an option for it. Below is just copy/paste.

TAGMODIFICATION FLAGBIC CODEBRANCH CODEINSTITUTION NAMEBRANCH INFORMATIONCITY HEADINGSUBTYPE INDICATIONVALUE ADDED SERVICESEXTRA INFOPHYSICAL ADDRESS 1PHYSICAL ADDRESS 2PHYSICAL ADDRESS 3PHYSICAL ADDRESS 4LOCATIONCOUNTRY NAMEPOB NUMBERPOB LOCATIONPOB COUNTRY NAME
FIUAAAARSBGXXXTELENOR BANKA ADBEOGRADSUPEFIN CBOMLADINSKIH BRIGADA 90V11070 BEOGRADSERBIA
FIUAAACKWKWXXXAL MUZAINI EXCHANGE CO. KSCCKUWAITSUPEFIN CKBUILDING 9BLOCK 4SAUD BIN ABDULAZIZ ST.13022 KUWAITKUWAITPOB 215613022 KUWAITKUWAIT
FIUAAADFRP1XXXASSET ALLOCATION ADVISORS SAPARISNSWB NP3 AVENUE HOCHECHEZ NSMCHEZ NSM75008 PARISFRANCE
FIUAAAGFRP1XXXASSOCIATION ADMINISTRATIVE AGRRPARISNSWB NP10 RUE DU COLISEE75008 PARISFRANCE
FIUAAAJBG21XXXARCUS ASSET MANAGEMENT JSCPLOVDIVNSWB N2BUSINESS CENTER LEGIS6TH OF SEPTEMBER BLVD. 1524000 PLOVDIVBULGARIA
FIUAAALSARIALKALAWWAL BANK(EASTERN AREA ALKHOBAR)ALKHOBARSUPEFINTG+BRA CRALKHOBARSAUDI ARABIA
FIUAAALSARICTDALAWWAL BANK(CENTRAL TREASURY DEPT.)RIYADHSUPEFINTG+TMK CRRIYADHSAUDI ARABIA
FIUAAALSARIJEDALAWWAL BANK(WESTERN AREA JEDDAH)JEDDAHSUPEFINTG+BRA CRJEDDAHSAUDI ARABIA
FIUAAALSARIRYDALAWWAL BANK(CENTRAL AREA RIYADH)RIYADHSUPEFINTG+BRA CRRIYADHSAUDI ARABIA
FIUAAALSARIXXXALAWWAL BANKRIYADHSUPEFINTG+ CRHEAD OFFICE BUILDINGDHABAB STREETRIYADH 11431SAUDI ARABIAPOB 1467RIYADH 11431SAUDI ARABIA
FIUAAAMFRP1XXXALLIANZ ALTERNATIVE ASSET MANAGEMENT SAPARISNSWB NP20 RUE LE PELETIER75009 PARISFRANCE
FIUAAAOFRP1XXXACA ASSET MANAGEMENT COMPANY AND ASSOCIESPARISNSWB NP241 BOULEVARD ST GERMAIN75007 PARISFRANCE
FIUAAAPBGS1XXXALARIC CAPITALSOFIANSWB NSEXARCH YOSIF 71301 SOFIABULGARIA
FIUAAASTHB1XXXASIA PLUS SECURITIES PUBLIC COMPANY LIMITEDBANGKOKNSWB NBSATHORN CITY TOWERFLOOR 1-3175 SOUTH SATHORN ROADBANGKOK 10120THAILAND
FIUAABAFI22TMSBANK OF ALAND PLC(TREASURY DEPARTMENT)MARIEHAMNSUPEERPFINTMK C2MARIEHAMNFINLAND
FIUAABAFI22XXXBANK OF ALAND PLCMARIEHAMNSUPEERPFINTGT C2NYGATAN 222100 MARIEHAMNFINLANDPOB 322101 MARIEHAMNFINLAND
FIUAABASESSTMSALANDSBANKEN ABP (FINLAND),SVENSK FILIAL(TREASURY DEPARTMENT)STOCKHOLMSUPEFINALL CSSTUREPLAN 19107 81 STOCKHOLMSWEDEN
FIUAABASESSXXXALANDSBANKEN ABP (FINLAND),SVENSK FILIALSTOCKHOLMSUPEFINSSK CSSTUREPLAN 19107 81 STOCKHOLMSWEDEN
FIUAABMIT22XXXAFV ACCIAIERIE BELTRAME S.P.A.VICENZACORPFIN C2VIALE DELLA SCIENZA 8136100 VICENZAITALY

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Now that you have provided some sample data, which columns are you trying to compare since you did not label any with column letters? And I don't see any that appear to match.

Upvote 0
What are they being compared to. I see only one set of BIC and Branch Code. Show us what your expected solution would be if you did this manually for the sample you have supplied.

Upvote 0
It’s 2 worksheets, Previous Month and Current month, and it would compare column C&D between sheets and output differences to third worksheet called Variance.

BIC and Branch Codes aren’t going to be row for row. I think columns C&D should be concat to make it faster to go through 100K+ rows.

Upvote 0
Will a VBA or Power Query solution work for you. If so, it may take me awhile to produce same. I don't have a formula solution for you.

Upvote 0
Will a Power Query solution work for you. I don't have a formula solution for you. This is a fairly easy issue to resolve using Power Query.

1. Bring each table into PQ
2. Create a Full Outer Join Merge of the two tables. Join on the BIC and Branch.
3. Filter all rows except those holding a null value in the second merged table.
4. Close and Load to Excel Native

If you are not familiar with PQ, then look at my signature block. Also, look at obtaining the book. M is (Data) Monkey. This is very powerful addin to Excel.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back