Compare two strings, and find difference?

EtherBoo

This may not be possible with excel, but this is what I'm trying to do

A1 = Hello John, my name is Steve, how was your day?
B1 = Hello John, my name is Steve, was day?

I need C1 to return:
how your

Is this possible?

flora1

Here is my corrected code... it should work correctly now.
Code:
[TABLE="width: 500"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Function Differences(ByVal Str1 As String, ByVal Str2 As String) As String
  Dim Temp As String, Arr1 As Variant, Arr2 As Variant, Var As Variant
  Arr1 = Split(Application.Trim(Replace(Str1, ",", " ")))
  Arr2 = Split(Application.Trim(Replace(Str2, ",", " ")))
  If UBound(Arr2) > UBound(Arr1) Then
    Str2 = " " & Application.Trim(Replace(Str2, ",", " ")) & " "
    For Each Var In Arr1
      Str2 = Replace(Str2, " " & Var & " ", "  ", , , vbTextCompare)
    Next
    Differences = Replace(Application.Trim(Str2), " ", ", ")
  Else
    Str1 = " " & Application.Trim(Replace(Str1, ",", " ")) & " "
    For Each Var In Arr2
      Str1 = Replace(Str1, " " & Var & " ", "  ", , , vbTextCompare)
    Next
    Differences = Replace(Application.Trim(Str1), " ", ", ")
  End If
End Function[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Dear Rick,

I was trying your cool UDF with my data and wanted to return values in Column C and Column D but somehow it did not work.

<b></b><table cellpadding="2.5px" rules="all" style=";background-color: rgb(255,255,255);border: 1px solid;border-collapse: collapse; border-color: rgb(187,187,187)"><colgroup><col width="25px" style="background-color: rgb(218,231,245)" /><col /><col /><col /><col /></colgroup><thead><tr style=" background-color: rgb(218,231,245);text-align: center;color: rgb(22,17,32)"><th></th><th>A</th><th>B</th><th>C</th><th>D</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">1</td><td style="text-align: center;;">Main Text</td><td style="text-align: center;;">Revised Cell</td><td style="text-align: center;;">Added Text to Main by revised cell</td><td style="text-align: center;;">Removed Text from Main by revised cell</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">2</td><td style="text-align: center;;">Washington was born into the provincial gentry of Colonial Virginia to a family of wealthy planters who owned tobacco plantations and slaves, which he inherited</td><td style="text-align: center;;">Washington was born into the provincial gentry of Colonial Virginia to a family of wealthy planters who owned tobacco and slaves, which he inherited In his youth</td><td style="text-align: center;color: #7030A0;;">In his youth</td><td style="text-align: center;color: #FF0000;;">plantations</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">3</td><td style="text-align: center;;">The amount of military detail handled personally by the President in wartime has varied dramatically</td><td style="text-align: center;;">The amount of military detail handled personally by the President in wartime has varied dramatically</td><td style="text-align: center;color: #FF0000;;">NO CHANGE</td><td style="text-align: center;color: #FF0000;;">NO CHANGE</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">4</td><td style="text-align: center;;">The Department of Defense is headed by the Secretary of Defense, a cabinet-level head who reports directly to the President of the United States</td><td style="text-align: center;;">The DOD is headed by the Secretary of Defense, a cabinet-level head who reports directly to the President of the United States</td><td style="text-align: center;color: #FF0000;;">DOD</td><td style="text-align: center;color: #FF0000;;">Department of Defense</td></tr></tbody></table><p style="width:4.8em;font-weight:bold;margin:0;padding:0.2em 0.6em 0.2em 0.5em;border: 1px solid rgb(187,187,187);border-top:none;text-align: center;background-color: rgb(218,231,245);color: rgb(22,17,32)">Sheet1</p><br /><br />

Last edited:

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pprabha

This Week's Hot Topics