Compare values in adjacent rows in one column, summing values in the same rows in a different column

sunfoodandrew

Hello, everyone. I have a spreadsheet with columns listing "Customer Name," "Extended Price," and "Date." Each customer purchased specific line items during a certain time period. The customer's name (unique for each customer) is "Customer Name," the total value of each item purchased is "Extended Price." For example, if "Customer A" purchased 3 of Item Z @ $5.00 each, then "$15.00" would be listed in the same row as "Customer A." The next row down, "Customer A" purchased 4 of Item Y @ $6.00 each, so the Extended Price is "$24.00."

I sorted the spreadsheet by "Customer Name," and I want to sum the values under "Extended Price" for each individual customer. Each customer purchased a different number of line items during this time period (Purchases represented by Customer A can be found in an array with 12 cells, Customer B needs 20 cells, etc.) Basically, I'm looking for one formula which will look in the column under "Customer Name," find the rows where "Customer Name" is the same, find the values of "Extended Price" in those same rows, and sum up "Extended Price" for each customer.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Skype me if you think you can walk me though it, or reply to this thread.

- Andrew

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Pivot table sounds like the simplest/quickest way to do this. At work, no access to Skype

Upvote 0
Sounds like a use of the standard "Subtotals" function, found on the Data menu. Will that not work?

Upvote 0
Hello, everyone. I have a spreadsheet with columns listing "Customer Name," "Extended Price," and "Date." Each customer purchased specific line items during a certain time period. The customer's name (unique for each customer) is "Customer Name," the total value of each item purchased is "Extended Price." For example, if "Customer A" purchased 3 of Item Z @ $5.00 each, then "$15.00" would be listed in the same row as "Customer A." The next row down, "Customer A" purchased 4 of Item Y @ $6.00 each, so the Extended Price is "$24.00."

I sorted the spreadsheet by "Customer Name," and I want to sum the values under "Extended Price" for each individual customer. Each customer purchased a different number of line items during this time period (Purchases represented by Customer A can be found in an array with 12 cells, Customer B needs 20 cells, etc.) Basically, I'm looking for one formula which will look in the column under "Customer Name," find the rows where "Customer Name" is the same, find the values of "Extended Price" in those same rows, and sum up "Extended Price" for each customer.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Skype me if you think you can walk me though it, or reply to this thread.

- Andrew

Highlight your range and click on subtotals (on the data ribbon in 2007 and in the data menu in 2003, I believe). Select that you want to subtotal on customer name and sum extended price.

HTH,
Roger

Edit: Welcome to the board.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back