Compare Workbooks and Highlight Differences

Chris Waller

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,

I am using Excel 2016 and I am experiencing a problem with what I thought was a straightforward task and I need a little help.

I receive a workbook (containing 5 worksheets) on a daily basis and I have to lift the changes and populate another system with the updates. The problem is, as time goes by the list is slowly increasing and now it takes a considerable amount of time to go through the changes and I am conscious that I may miss some, so I was wanting a better way to do this, either by automating it with a macro or using conditional formatting to highlight the changes.

I don't mind if the answer is to use a macro or whether conditional formatting will do the job, whichever is easiest.

There are a lot of posts on the Internet about comparing worksheets within the same workbook, but I cannot find much about comparing workbooks and highlighting the differences.

TIA

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Have you considered using the Inquire Tab this will compare 2 workbooks for you. You have to make the Inquire Tab visible to use it.

Upvote 0
Trevor,

Thanks for you response. I have tried using the Inquire Tab and unfortunately it doesn't appear to work. It's probably a bit of functionality that my employer would have thought was useful, so they have probably disabled it. This is just one of the reasons that I asked if this can be done by using a conditional formatting or using a macro.,

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back