comparing 2 datasets

bdee1

Board Regular
I am working on this project for work and i am not sure how to attack it.

There are 2 spreadsheets with similar data that come from 2 different sources. the data in these two spreadsheets is supposed to match line for line, but in most cases it doesn't. so the user needs to go in every month or so and create a 3rd sheet and paste in sheet 1 and sheet2 side by side. the user then finds any records that are in sheet 1 but not sheet 2, and if he finds one, he inserts a blank row in the appropriate spot in sheet 2.

the he does the same with sheet 2 (finds names that are in sheet 2 but not sheet1 and inserts a blank row in the right spot in sheet1). right now he does this manually by looking at each row in each sheet and comparing them.

what he wants is a way to automate this process. he would like it to that he pastes the data from the original sheet 1 & 2 into this new spreadsheet that i am creating and when he runs a macro of some kind, this row comparison happens automatically.
:oops:

so the question is how the heck can i accomplish this? do i need to use vba? if so it has been a long time since i coded in vb or vba, so perhaps someone could get me started?

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back