Comparing 2 sets of data

mattkbn1

Hi I was hoping someone could help me compare 4 columns of data. For my data I am just comparing the outputs of two programs (for example the x-y coordinates of a map). So in columns A & B I have the x-y coordinates from 1 program and columns C & D I have the x-y coordinates from another program and I want to compare to see which ones match. There is also some error in the coordinates as one program is more sophisticated than the other. So for example here is some of the data:

<title>Tables</title> ****** http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"> <!-- "G_PLUGIN_FOR_HTML" --> <style type="text/css"> tt { font-family: courier; } td { font-family: helvetica, sans-serif; } caption { font-family: helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 14pt; text-align: left; } </style> <table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">1</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">3232.05</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">2</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">198</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">1.119</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">3319.79</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">2</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">1254</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">1.25</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">3426.35</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">4</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">380</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">1.282</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">1392.81</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">4</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">3283</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">1.288</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">3672.17</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">5</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">687</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">1.29</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">2608.25</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">5</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">2058</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">1.321</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">67.195</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">6</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">846</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">1.323</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">3918.82</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">7</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">1631</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">1.329</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">2625.88</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">9</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">3185</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">1.337</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">2471.69</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">10</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">3714</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">1.338</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">764.246</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">12</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">2745</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">1.37</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">3420.18</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">14</td> <td style="font-size: 10pt;" align="right" valign="bottom">1559</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

As you can tell the data on the left is much more detailed than the one on the right, but I still need to compare them for similarities. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
In your example none of them match.
Since you say the numbers are more detailed
can you supply some data where the numbers are different but YOU consider them to "match"?

Upvote 0
Oh I'm sorry, there are thousands of rows of data and there should be an eventual match on the left side with the ones on the right. It's just the data in columns A & B are much more precise and find many more points. I should have specified that the columns A & B have many more x-y coordinates than columns C & D. But that is what I am trying to determine; So for columns A & B there are 10,000 different points and for columns C & D there are only about 5,000 (because one program was more precise than the other). I just want to see which points these two sets of data have in common...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back