comparing 3 colums of one with a 3 columns of a master list

RANDALL B M

Every day I download a list of all incoming transactions. I also download a list of the merchants list. What I do is to place this information togheter and try reconcilied it. Our system list includes the fallowing fields: Account number, date, detail, control number, payment method and finally amount. On the other hand the merchant list. includes the Account, Date, Control Number and Amount. I place both lists aside and insert 3 columns betwen them. tjem by sustrancting each column with it correspondent i can determined if there's a diference. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Re: comparing 3 colums of one with a 3 columns of a master l

Are the account number, control number or amount fields the same?

Depending on what is key, I would sort on that key.

You didn't really state a "problem" or issue. You only indicated what you do. What would you like to achieve?

Upvote 0

I include a sample of what i'm trying to achieved. First of all the Account field has a maximun lenght of 7 caractacters alphanumeric. ej acct 5468, 145694, D258698, x255654. The control number is only numeric and can include up to 10 caracters ejem 1254457, 1445895679, 1257. Most of the time I check 5000 entries and is taking so long to do it manually. What I'm trying to find is a faster way of comparing both lists. All 3 esential fields (Account #, control #, amount) must match. . So I need a final list of transactions matched and a list of those transactions not mached to studied them.

Thanks,

RBM

Upvote 0

Okay, when both lists are sorted, I assume that the records do not match exactly on the same row, that one list could have more entries than the other list.

List 1:
1, A, 9
2, B, 8
3, C, 7
4, D, 6

List 2:
1, A, 9
3, C, 7
4, D, 6
5, E, 5

In the above, only the first record would match on the same row.
However, row 4 of list one and row 3 of list 2 are a match. Is this the type of scenario you are facing?

Upvote 0

That's correct, we can have differences on the system lists due to differences o time transactions, our server is located on another time zone , so some transactions registered on the merchant report for today will be shown the next day in the morning in our system. The other reason we check this is because there are manual transaction and some of them can show a difference. It is vital that all 3 key fields match. Account number, reconciliation tell us if money has deposited on the correct account. The control number is unique so that will help us determined when the customer send transactions for the same amount. The amount to meke sure the correct amount is on this correct account.

I sort both lists by the control number, then by amount and account. As I mentioned before somethimes the first two rows but most of time they don't. I would appeciate any Ideas on this matter.

Regards,

Randall B. M.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back