Comparing a cell value to its previous value

chs245

I have the following problem:
I have a data feed coming into an excel cell, and I would like to record with a function the maximum value of that feed in an adjacent cell.
Can anyone give a hint on how to do that ?

Thanks,
Oliver

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
On 2002-10-07 17:58, chs245 wrote:
I have the following problem:
I have a data feed coming into an excel cell, and I would like to record with a function the maximum value of that feed in an adjacent cell.
Can anyone give a hint on how to do that ?

Thanks,
Oliver

If there is no obstacle for you to install the morefunc.xll add-in, downloadable from:

http://longre.free.fr/english/index.html,

you can use:

=MAX(RECALL(A1),A1)

which would fit the bill.

Upvote 0
There is a way to do that by using circular references in a complicated way.

I have done a program to watch stock changes and it can remember 6 values, of which it is possible to make a chart and count if the stock is reaching given stoploss-limit, and so on...

Unfortunately I am now sitting by a machine where is only Finnish Excel, which might make a somewhat strange looking code, but do visit my homepage and check the program...the code is in english there.

http://www.geocities.com/ylijohe/excels_part1.html

Load the "Automatic STOCK price loader"

To get a quick lesson what I am using in my program, check this demo:

http://www.bmsltd.co.uk/DLCount/DLCount.asp?file=LastChng.zip

Here's the deal: You have a number of cells that are changing on a regular basis (e.g. DDE stock price feeds). At any point in time, you want to know which was the last cell that changed, what was its value before the change, and what is its value now. This worksheet does exactly that, using circular references. Full explanations included in cell notes in the sheet.
This message was edited by ylijohe on 2002-10-07 19:57

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies. The function recall i sperfect for what i want to do. I would be curious though how to write the code of that function myself. Any idea how to do that ?

Regards,
Oliver

Upvote 0
Is there a parameter that can be supplied to the aforementioned MOREFUNC Recall() function, that will return a cell's previous valu, subsequent to it being changed ?

Thanks in advance,

Doug
doug@expss.com

Upvote 0
DougFromLI said:
Is there a parameter that can be supplied to the aforementioned MOREFUNC Recall() function, that will return a cell's previous valu, subsequent to it being changed ?

Thanks in advance,

Doug
doug@expss.com

I don't think so. For what you want the Bullen method is probably more appropriate. See ylijohe's post above.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back