Comparing before and after data

tcy999

Board Regular
My brain is about to implode. :eek:

Can someone please suggest a solution to the following. I have two sets of data (actually they are the same data but just a 'before' set and 'after' set) in two seperate worksheets in the same workbook. I am receiving these data from external sources, and it may be that, for example, they send before data but not after data, or they send two sets of after data by mistake... Anyway the point is that even if I sort both sets of data by their reference number, it's not very likely I will end up with two lists both in the same order.

I need to compare before and after results for each client (identified by the reference number). Is there a simple way (rather than having to go through them manually) to compare the two sets of data ie. pull in the corresponding after data in to the before worksheet so that I can see the difference between the two for each client....???

Any help in pointing me in the best direction to go would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Actually, I think the easiest way to do this would be to do an Unmatched Query in Microsoft Access. Access makes these sort of comparisions very easy, where they are a bit more cumbersome in Excel.

Upvote 0
Hi jmiskey, thanks for the very sensible suggestion! Unfortunately, funding and project restraints means I can only use Excel. :(

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back