Comparing Date/Time

alecbowman

I have a user form which is used to specify an XY scatter plot where one of the axis is Date/Time.

This fails if the user inadvertently enters a Minimum Date/Time which is later than the Max Date/Time.

The obvious check to make is that the Min Date/Time < Max Date/Time but it appears as though excel can only treat entries from dialog boxes at text so this sort of comparison doesn't work.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received

Alec

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Good morning alecbowman

Excel can check the validity of dates, it's all a matter of specifying format (so Excel can be sure it's a date - after all we're using TextBoxes - could be anything). You haven't posted any code, so I can't tailor this example to your precise needs, but this example works on UserForm1, with the controls TextBox1, TextBox2 and CommandButton1 set up :

Code:
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
If Format(TextBox1, "dd/mmm/yy") < Format(TextBox2, "dd/mmm/yy") Then
MsgBox "You can't fo this!"
Exit Sub
Else
MsgBox "OK"
Unload UserForm1
End If
End Sub

HTH

DominicB

Upvote 0
Thanks,

Haven't tried it yet but will let you know. I assume that this will work for any custom date/time formats as well (I am using a format "dd/mm/yyyy hh/mm/ss.000"!)

Alec

Upvote 0
Hi alecbowman

I assume that this will work for any custom date/time formats as well

Sure will - pretty much any format is OK really if you want to capture users input for %age, time, decimal places etc.

HTH

DominicB

Upvote 0
Hi,

Have tried the following

If Format(filtertimedialog.Time_Min_Field, "dd mmm yyyy hh:mm:ss.000") >= Format(filtertimedialog.Time_Max_Field, "dd mmm yyyy hh:mm:ss.000") Then
ianswer = MsgBox("Min Value for Time/Serial Number Filter data greater than Max Value, Filter Cancelled", vbExclamation, "Filters Inconsistent")
Unload Me: End
End If

Where filtertimedialog.Time_Max_Field contained 27 Dec 1990 00:00:01.000 and filtertimedialog.Time_Max_Field contained 01 Jan 2000 00:00:130.

The expressions still seems to return True.

As for the strange format, the date/time is the timestamp applied by a data processing system driving amongst other things, a servo control. The interesting bits are usually where the time rolls over from on year to another or on startup where the default data/time is updated to current time. Actually Excel isn't really precise enough as the time is recorded in Posix format i.e. down to nanoseconds.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back