Comparing intersections of two lists of concatenated input columns

jahsquare

Board Regular
This is something that user Fazza was generously helping with:

See below link for sample input/output data.

Basically I have a table including the following columns: Names, Places, and Year.
Values in the Names & Places columns may be concatenated, e.g. with " " like "Tim Rob Frank" or "US CA MX".

What I need is an X-Y output table showing the de-concatenated intersection of Names and Year, or Names and Places, i.e. how many times are Tim and MX in the same row. In practice there are additional columns and I want to be able to select column headers for comparison from data validation cells (see input file).

Fazza helped with the code below, which accomplishes generation of an output table for Names and Year. What I'm hoping to do is modify this to work with arbitrary inputs. I.e the script would check for column headers present in two data validation cells, and generate the output table accordingly.

The catch is that if the user selects Year, the output table columns should be generated as below. But if they select any other column (i.e. some text-based column that may be concatenated with the same delimiter, say " ") the columns should be split the same as the rows. Note there may be blank cells in any column.

As a secondary problem, Names are part of a hierarchy (see flattened hierarchy on sheet 2 of input file). In some cases I will need to sum up the hierarchy so that I can compare e.g. all level "2"s.

Currently I import my data values to a template of the full Names hierarchy, and use the formula below. But it would be extremely useful if I could instead just generate the needed output from the input (with respect to the full hierarchy located in a separate sheet/book), because importing to the template and repeatedly calculating this formula across thousands of records takes a very long time.
={ SUM(OFFSET(E2,,,IFERROR(MATCH(0,N(B2<(B3:B$260742)),),))) } [Where E2 is the current row value, and B2 is the rank.]

Any help is much appreciated (even if it ignores the hierarchy issue).. Thanks!

Code:
Sub test()

Dim i As Long, j As Long, k As Long
    Dim lngMinYear As Long
    Dim lngMaxYear As Long

Dim a As Variant
    Dim aIn As Variant
    Dim aOut As Variant
    Dim dic As Variant
    Dim wksNew As Excel.Worksheet

'-----------------------------------

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Application.EnableEvents = False

With Cells.Find(What:="Names").CurrentRegion
        aIn = .Value2
        lngMinYear = Application.WorksheetFunction.Min(.Offset(, 1).Resize(, 1))
        lngMaxYear = Application.WorksheetFunction.Max(.Offset(, 1).Resize(, 1))
    End With

ReDim aOut(1 To 60000, lngMinYear - 1 To lngMaxYear)

Set dic = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary") 'for destination array row numbers stored by name

For i = LBound(aIn, 1) + 1 To UBound(aIn, 1) 'loop through input data rows
        a = Split(aIn(i, 1), " ") 'Array list of names for record i
        For j = LBound(a) To UBound(a) 'Loop though names on record i
            If Not dic.exists(a(j)) Then 'if haven't already got a record number for this name
                k = k + 1 'data for this name will be in row k of output array
                dic.Add a(j), k 'store row number for this name in dictionary object
                aOut(k, lngMinYear - 1) = a(j) 'store name in first column of output array
            End If
            aOut(dic(a(j)), aIn(i, 2)) = aOut(dic(a(j)), aIn(i, 2)) + 1 'accumulate count
        Next j
    Next i
    Erase a
    Set dic = Nothing
    Set aIn = Nothing

'Create output
    Set wksNew = Application.Workbooks.Add(Template:=xlWBATWorksheet).Worksheets(1)
    With wksNew
        .Range("A2").Resize(k, lngMaxYear - lngMinYear + 2).Value2 = aOut
        .Range("A1").Value2 = "Name"
        For j = lngMinYear To lngMaxYear
            .Cells(1, j - lngMinYear + 2).Value2 = j
        Next j
    End With
    Erase aOut

here is a workbook with some sample input/output data. There are 6 sheets:

1) The input data. Same as before with added column for Places, as well as three data validation fields for horizontal axis input (column header), vertical axis (column header), and fill-hierarchy choice (yes/no).

2) A flattened hierarchy of names, with a sort key

3) Output for input: Date/Names/No

4) Output for input: Date/Names/Yes

5) Output for input: Places/Names/No

6) Output for intput: Places/Names/Yes

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
*Really these could just be two separate vba scripts instead of one that handles both input types (Names + Year) and (Names + Places), i.e. if I can modify the script above to handle (Names + Places), and use them independently.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guy Boot

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back